Flexible cables for hazardous locations

Status
Not open for further replies.
My employer has a large install base of portable pump motors that get positioned over the top of a liquid containing alcohol based solvents, so the area is Class I/Div. 1. Currently, the motors have flexible SO cord from explosion proof fittings on the motor, draped across the floor about 6-8 feet, and terminated in an explosion proof receptacle plug. I did not like the SO cord in Class I/Div. 1, but found that article 501.140 says flexible cord can be used with some conditions and one is "the flexible cord is protected by location or by suitable guard".

What is a suitable guard :? There is no easy way to route the SO up off the floor. The cord needs to be very flexible because it is rolled up and the pump motor is pushed out of the way at times. Could I put a really tough cable sleeve over the SO with shrink tube on the ends to be a "guard"??

Thanks for your help.

dicklaxt

Your idea would certainly work but could you sell it to the AHJ or owner.My mind is slow to click most of the time but seems I read something somewhere about cords had to be visible in total,,,maybe thats an issue..

dick

Status
Not open for further replies.