"Flexible" Duplex Under in Cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

I am designing a dental office for a client and one of the things that keeps coming up in comments is showing receptacles in some cabinets as "flexible". Basically what he wants is two or three feet of flex attached to a receptacle so he can move it around if necessary. Totally unnecessary because everything he plugs to it will have a cord. He just can't seem to get it in his head. He is the kind of guy that thinks he is an expert at everything he puts his mind to.

I can remember a long time ago an inspector turning down such an installation. Something about using flexible wiring connection as a replacement for permanent wiring is not allowed. Can't find that code reference. I just don't think it is allowed or good engineering practice. Portable wiring connections need to be some sort of device like a cord and plug that can actually be disconnected and moved and is put together using connections intended to be portable in my opinion.

Any comments appreciated.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The reference you are seeking is 400.8(1). I am wondering how you would connect wires to a receptacle without the receptacle being inside an outlet box, and not create a shock hazard. In any event, the proposed installation would violate 406.4.

hbendillo

The reference you are seeking is 400.8(1). I am wondering how you would connect wires to a receptacle without the receptacle being inside an outlet box, and not create a shock hazard. In any event, the proposed installation would violate 406.4.

I think what he wants is a length of flex on the end of the conduit or from a junction box on the end of the conduit to another box with a receptacle in it that he can move around for some reason he can't explain. Thanks for the reference.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think what he wants is a length of flex on the end of the conduit or from a junction box on the end of the conduit to another box with a receptacle in it that he can move around for some reason he can't explain.
Well, he can't have that. :happyno: As stated in 406.4, the box has to be secured in place, unless permitted to be unsecured by some other statement elsewhere in the code. There is no elsewhere that says a box can be swinging loose within a drawer.

hbendillo

Well, he can't have that. :happyno: As stated in 406.4, the box has to be secured in place, unless permitted to be unsecured by some other statement elsewhere in the code. There is no elsewhere that says a box can be swinging loose within a drawer.

The guys kind of kooky. He has reviewed the drawings four times. He moves things then moves them back. He gets all bent when something in the ceilings don't line up on one side of the building then ignores nearly the same condition elsewhere. I could go on but that would be boring. Bid the thing already!

Status
Not open for further replies.