Flexible tubing crossing Hazardous Area to safe area

luisschwartz

Occupation
Controls engineer
Hello,

I have an application where my diff Press transducers will be located in the safe area and tubing to be ran into a C1D2 area. Does my transmitters in the safe area need to be Ex protected (IS)?

If yes, can you share the explanation as to why and the code it falls under?

thanks in advance

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
“Flexible tubing” is simply not a recognized wiring method in Class I, Division 2. [See Section 501.10(B)(1)]

That said, peterdora’s question in Post #2 above is extremely relevant. [See Section 501.15(B)(2)]

luisschwartz

Occupation
Controls engineer
“Flexible tubing” is simply not a recognized wiring method in Class I, Division 2. [See Section 501.10(B)(1)]

That said, peterdora’s question in Post #2 above is extremely relevant. [See Section 501.15(B)(2)]
I'm referring to tubing (gas transport) sense line

luisschwartz

Occupation
Controls engineer
the hazardous area is classified as C1D2 and under vacuum @ -0.007 wc. The safe area is ambient pressure.
The DP is to be located on the safe area
Does my DP need to be Ex protected (IS)?
Would it be viable if the sense line (tubing) breaks the hazardous atmosphere gets transferred to the safe area (considering the hazardous area is under minimal vacuum)?
thanks everyone

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As I mentioned, the NEC doesn’t speak to your issue. The two dominant Standards for classifying most locations, NFPA 497 and API RP 500, don’t either. NEC Articles 511 to 517 do give some classification directives but are application specific and shed no light on your question.

“Ex” is technically an IEC (Zone) reference similar to Article 504. They don’t speak to your issue either.

In theory, an Intrinsically Safe (IS) or Noninsendive (NI) installation still has “boundary” issues. Not so serious for Division 2 but still needs attention.

In my opinion, the boundary issue is still the major concern. If there is reason to believe hazardous materials could migrate to the unclassified location through the tubing, the installation should be compliant with ANSI/ISA RP 12.06.01 or ANSI UL121201.