Floating neutral on portable generators for stand alone PV systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACDCBag420

Occupation
Solar
My question is about floating the neutral on portable generators. I have a stand alone pv system with a generator input and I would like to not have to buy another generator with a floating neutral. My portable generator has a bonded neutral, I have taken it apart and successfully floated the neutral. I have seen some manufactures of portable generators provide instructions on how to break the neutral ground bond and float the neutral. Unfortunately I have called Dewalt and they said plainly do not tamper with the product. The method of breaking the neutral ground bond on the Dewalt was the same as all the other portable generators, the only difference is that they make no mention of the procedure in the product literature and were no help on the tech support line. Is it common practice to break the neutral ground bond on portable generators when an application for a floating neutral is needed? If the manufacturer does not provide examples of how to do this would it be any different breaking the neutral ground bond on their product versus one that specifies how to do it? Would like some feedback I don't want to plug this thing in and damage something even though my gut feeling says it fine. Any thoughts? Thank you very much I am only a second year apprentice and could use some advice from more experienced colleagues.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Duplicate, go here:

Status
Not open for further replies.