Floor Box Receptacle Code Compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do a search for "floor pockets" and see if something looks like it would work. As far as the product shown, I would want to see the listing information

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It is not listed as anything other than flooring.

I don't see a code issue here.
Don't read more in to my reply then what I posted, I didn't say there was a code issue did I? With the Japanese writing I am simply curious if it is available in the US

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
What part are you calling "the product"? I see standard parts in a home-made box.
I'm not clear on whether it's an assembly or not. Regardless, after doing a number of stages I'd still opt for a manufactured floor pocket

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
As I recall the issue with boxes in floors is dirt, water etc getting into the recept. That's why floor box receptacles have the threaded cap.

I don't think the above will fly

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As I recall the issue with boxes in floors is dirt, water etc getting into the recept. That's why floor box receptacles have the threaded cap.

I don't think the above will fly
Some do have screw covers but most have flip type covers and some even have slides like below.

1647086768140.png

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Seems to me that a site built floor pocket as in the OP photo, with a regular wall receptacle in the sidewall, is perfectly fine, code wise and function wise. If the pocket were 10 times bigger in every dimension, it would just be a room below a trap door, and of course the wall receptacle would be fine. I don't see how shrinking the room changes anything.

What am I missing?

Cheers, Wayne

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
What am I missing?

Cheers, Wayne

I personally think your analysis is correct.

I think Infinity's idea of a listed floor receptacle in the pocket is more sure fire, in the sense that the inspector will have less opportunity to object.

The deciding factor should be which would be easier to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.