Floor Boxes/Duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
A customer may soon want a floor box at a desk out in the open. GC is worried about cutting prestressed concrete floor. Does anyone know of a very shallow box/duct that can be cut into concrete floor?

jmellc

Occupation
Slab on ground. GC says no way to cut all the way down. NEC mentions duct/boxes level w/ surface, so I assume they exist.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The raceway can be in a shallow chase, if you used 1/2" EMT you would only need about a 1" channel in the slab. The box would be a little different because floor boxes are generally a few inches deep. If it's a slab on grade is there really an issue with a narrow chase and chopping in a box?

jmellc

Occupation
If the location is allowed by the NEC, what about flat cable under carpet squares?

They have now decided against the floor box altogether but I will check out the flat cable idea just in case and/or for similar situations. Do you know a good brand?

jmellc

Occupation
You can have the slab X-rayed first to ensure that nothing will be damaged.

I suggested this to the GC. He does not trust X rays. Said he paid a fortune for x rays awhile back. The guy scanned and marked a route. He cut trench and hit a water line the guy didn't see.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't think I have ever seen a pre or post tensioned slab on grade. I guess with poor soil conditions, it could be more cost effective than all of the digging, back filling and compaction that would be required to make the soil suitable to support the slab.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I don't think I have ever seen a pre or post tensioned slab on grade. I guess with poor soil conditions, it could be more cost effective than all of the digging, back filling and compaction that would be required to make the soil suitable to support the slab.
Yes, it is common in areas with expansive soils to use a post-tensioned slab on grade.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.