Floor warming stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

Does anyone know if the NuHeat Harmony floor warming thermostat may be used with other brands of 120V floor warming systems? The manual doesn't really say, for sure.

hmy110-hmy220.jpg

480sparky

Your link doesn't work, and the photo doesn't show.

If all else fails, I'd say they are not rated for use with other systems.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I would think so. The other modles like the NTG5110 are AUBE and are used by amy infloor heeating systems.

As long as the The temp probe is compatible it should be ok.

mdshunk

Sierrasparky said:
As long as the The temp probe is compatible it should be ok.
Of all the floor warming systems I've installed, the temperature probe always came with the stat and not with the warming element part.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Of all the floor warming systems I've installed, the temperature probe always came with the stat and not with the warming element part.

That would be my concern. Kinda like using breakers in different panels.

Buck Parrish

I like the progamable ones . Just seems safer to turn itself on and off. Rather then running continuously.
If it got left on. HO goes on vacation. Furnace is off.

I put electric towell warmers on timers.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
That would be my concern. Kinda like using breakers in different panels.
Not sure I follow. If I use this NuHeat Harmony stat, it will come with a temperature probe; the right one. I guess maybe I'm overthinking this. The only thing I'm "mixing and matching" is the load on the 120V (or 240V) side of the stat. I think every floor warming system has shielded cable type elements, and that's what this stat needs, so there really shouldn't be any functional issues. I guess I just needed to make sure there's something I'm not considering or any other reason why it won't work or shouldn't be done.

mdshunk

buckofdurham said:
I like the progamable ones . Just seems safer to turn itself on and off. Rather then running continuously.
If it got left on. HO goes on vacation. Furnace is off.

I put electric towell warmers on timers.
I like this one in particular, and I'm pushing to use it, because it fits 2 Decora openings. I can gang it with the switches for a slick final appearance.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Not sure I follow. If I use this NuHeat Harmony stat, it will come with a temperature probe; the right one. I guess maybe I'm overthinking this. The only thing I'm "mixing and matching" is the load on the 120V (or 240V) side of the stat. I think every floor warming system has shielded cable type elements, and that's what this stat needs, so there really shouldn't be any functional issues. I guess I just needed to make sure there's something I'm not considering or any other reason why it won't work or shouldn't be done.

But isn't the business end of the temp probe a thermistor? What if the values of thermistors vary from maker to maker? Kind of like car parts... they do the same thing, but are built different.

mdshunk

480sparky said:
But isn't the business end of the temp probe a thermistor? What if the values of thermistors vary from maker to maker? Kind of like car parts... they do the same thing, but are built different.
Um, yeah, but why would that matter? The thermistor is going to come with the stat. It will be the right thermistor for that stat. It's not like I'm using a thermistor from one system with a stat from another system.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
As long as you use the sensor then which comes with the stat you'll be ok.
As to using on an already done floor I'd call Nuheat if I were you.
Let us know, I like the way it installs also.
:smile:

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Um, yeah, but why would that matter? The thermistor is going to come with the stat. It will be the right thermistor for that stat. It's not like I'm using a thermistor from one system with a stat from another system.

I assumed you were trying to replace an existing 'stat in a current heating system.

If you can get the sensor that comes with the stat into the floor, then all should be fine and dandy.:smile:

mdshunk

480sparky said:
I guessed you were trying to replace an existing 'stat in a current heating system.

If you can get the sensor that comes with the stat into the floor, then all should be fine and dandy.:smile:
Oh, I see. Gotcha.

Yeah, I'm fond of a certain cable heating system. I don't like their stat, however. I don't like NuHeat's cable system, and their mats are pricey. I do like their stat most, though.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Which on of the cable systems are you using?

I hope not the single conductor version.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Oh, I see. Gotcha.

Yeah, I'm fond of a certain cable heating system. I don't like their stat, however. I don't like NuHeat's cable system, and their mats are pricey. I do like their stat most, though.

I would think the stat would give a rats' behind who makes the cable, as long as it heats. The wattage of some custom-fit cables may vary, and could concievably exceed the stats' rating.

480sparky

mdshunk said:
Oh, I see. Gotcha.

I would think the stat would give a rats' behind who makes the cable, as long as it heats. The wattage of some custom-fit cables may vary, and could concievably exceed the stats' rating.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Thats good,
Have you seen that cable that is a single conductor.
The one where you cannot cut it to legnth.
well I saw a guy that ran the hot leads up the wall..... opps How come that wall is so hot.........
also
You ever check the EMF withone of those jobs . WOW :-?

mdshunk

Sierrasparky said:
Thats good,
Have you seen that cable that is a single conductor.
The one where you cannot cut it to legnth.
well I saw a guy that ran the hot leads up the wall..... opps How come that wall is so hot.........
also
You ever check the EMF withone of those jobs . WOW :-?
Actually, that's what I'm talking about. Single long conductor. I've been using it for years. I guess I'm used to it. I put in a lot of Chromalox in ceilings as a teen also. Same thing, just upside down. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.