Florescent Fixtures and Ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireddd

As we all know that manufactures now have to install a disconnect for the ballast in their new fixtures does anyone know if there is a rule where you have to install one in a existing fixture that you are just replacing a defective ballast in?

wireddd

We have started doing it as a matter of course, even though it adds to the cost of repair. This way when a non electrician or a handy man repairs it he can kill the power. If he knows what a disconnect is.

A stab in wiring ballast probably couldn't be considered a disconnect as you would still be working on it live.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
I always used my Klein lineman pliers as a disconnect. Worked every time. :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I always used my Klein lineman pliers as a disconnect. Worked every time. :grin:

410.130(G)(2) Multiwire Branch Circuits.
When connected to multiwire branch circuits, the disconnecting means shall simultaneously break all the supply conductors to the ballast, including the grounded conductor.
You must go through through a bunch of Kleins.

cpal

As we all know that manufactures now have to install a disconnect for the ballast in their new fixtures does anyone know if there is a rule where you have to install one in a existing fixture that you are just replacing a defective ballast in?

I don't see where the mfg has to supply a disconnect.
410.130(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
The disconnect is called a switch or a breaker!
Why must we make our work idiot proof? What happened to competent, qualified,trained, personnel?
Oh then you would have to pay them. We are becoming nothing more than "burger flippers"

jusme123

Occupation
JW
what would happen if you replaced a bedroom receptacle in a 20 year old house, would you then be obligated to change the breaker?

The disconnect is called a switch or a breaker!
Why must we make our work idiot proof? What happened to competent, qualified,trained, personnel?
Oh then you would have to pay them. We are becoming nothing more than "burger flippers"

Lamp replacement was not electrical work, but janitorial duty. When fluorescent fixtures came to be, the janitors were fighting for ballast replacement to be part of their duties.

This I know.

What I do not know, but I think it is a reasonable assumption, that as the resultant mishandling resulted in electrical shock and injury and that the disconnect is a 'legal' response to a technical issue. That technical issue shold be a non-issue for a competent electrician. (So are many of the arc-flash issues, but that's an other kettle of fish....)

Status
Not open for further replies.