Florida building code

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the Florida building code it states.That buildings 5000 sq ft or bigger shall have automatic lighting controls.My question is, does this apply to buildings that are over 5000 sq ft total.But have been subdivided to accommodate the need for more income?

bphgravity

Hello.

This is a great question as it has been heavily debated for several years now.

The section in question (13-415) does not distinguish a building used by one occupant verses a single builing with several occupants. So that being said, a 5,001 sq.ft. building would require the automatic and space lighting controls regardless of how it is used or divided up among tenants.

And yes, this doesn't make any sense. If a particular business were to build a stand alone structure at 4,999 sq.ft., these provisions would not apply. However, if that same business were to only occupy a 1,000 sq.ft. space in a 5,001 sq.ft building, they would.

Kind of dumb if you ask me.

The only way around this, other than claiming one or more of the exceptions listed in the section, is to build tenant separation that meets the criteria for building separation as outlined in Section 705 of the FBC. For example, if the typical 1 or 2 hours tenant separation walls built as fire barriers (706) and/or fire partitions (708) are used, you still only have one building. However, a 3 or 4 hour wall built as a fire wall (705) would separate the spaces into separate buildings.

I hope that helps...

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
This is a great question as it has been heavily debated for several years now.

I think it is pretty clear who won that debate as AHJ's around here enforce as per this statement.

If a particular business were to build a stand alone structure at 4,999 sq.ft., these provisions would not apply. However, if that same business were to only occupy a 1,000 sq.ft. space in a 5,001 sq.ft building, they would.
Kind of dumb if you ask me.
Making the world greener one tenant at a time?:)

Here is the beginning of the section in question.

13-415.ABC.1 Controls.

13-415.ABC.1.1 Automatic lighting controls. Interior
lighting in buildings larger than 5,000 square feet (465
m2) shall be controlled with an automatic control device
to shut off building lighting in all spaces
. This automatic
control device shall function on either:

1. A scheduled basis using a time-of-day operated
control device that turns lighting off at specific
programmed times?an independent program
schedule shall be provided for areas of no more than 25,000 square feet (2323 m2) but not more
than one floor.

2. An occupant sensor that shall turn lighting off
within 30 minutes of an occupant leaving a space.

3. A signal from another control or alarm system that
indicates the area is unoccupied.

Exceptions: The following shall not require an automatic
control device.

a. Lighting intended for 24-hour operation.
b. Lighting in spaces where patient care is rendered.
c. Spaces where an automatic shutoff would endanger
the safety or security of the room?s or building?s
occupant(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.