Florida EC Unlimited Test

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
Looking to get an idea on what to expect on this computer based test. I have all of the books needed and have help from a local source for study guides. For anyone who has taken the test recently what were your thoughts on subject matter presented to you during the test?
I have to guess most of the questions will come from the code book and very few from the other publications.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I found this online. I didn't realize you needed to pass 2 exams

Electrical Contractor Exams​

Obtaining the Unlimited Electrical Contractor’s License in Florida, aka Master Electrician’s License, requires obtaining passing scores on both the Unlimited Electrical and the Business and Law Exams. Below is a detailed description of each one of the two exams.

Electrical Exam​

This 5-hour exam contains 100 questions and covers the following subjects:

• General Theory and Electrical Principles
  • Plan and Specification Reading and Interpretation
  • Wiring and Protection
  • Wiring Methods and Materials
  • Special Occupancies and Situations
  • OSHA
  • Safety
  • Procedures for Testing and Use of Tools and Equipment
  • Life Safety and Americans with Disabilities Act
  • Electrical Signs, Outline Lighting, and Structural Considerations
  • Alarms/ Limited Energy

Business Exams​

This 2.5-hour exam contains 50 questions and covers the following subjects:

• Maintaining Cash Flow
  • Estimating and Bidding a Job
  • Interpretation of Contracts and Agreements
  • Purchasing Control
  • Contract Scheduling
  • Obtaining Insurance and Bonding
  • Complying with Contracting Laws and Rules
  • Personnel Management
  • Complying with Payroll and Sales Tax Laws
  • Interpretation of Financial Statements and Reports
  • Management Accounting

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is a 40 question practice test for you. It is free and it can give answers as you go. It is not specifically for Florida.

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
Here is a 40 question practice test for you. It is free and it can give answers as you go. It is not specifically for Florida.

Thanks
I am not a strong test taker and weak in a few areas I need to get better at. Being computer based adds to the mix.
I have passed the business test which I breezed through so now I am looking at all of the needed information and seem a bit overwhelmed

cadpoint

I would find and learn the keyboard layout of the test giver. The keyboard layout was to say at the least
non conventional and made it just another layer to remember.

Good Luck with your testing.

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
I was right I flunked. Got a 68 is 70 passing? Are you supposed to use the code book when you take the test? I didn't.
In total 14 books I can use if I recall that number correctly. Yes the code book is one of them but also books like Concrete Mixtures and OSHA.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
In total 14 books I can use if I recall that number correctly. Yes the code book is one of them but also books like Concrete Mixtures and OSHA.
That's good. If I had used the book I wouldn't have flunked. I figured they must let you use one because there were question where you needed to look things up.

CurrentFlow

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Take an EC prep class. Lots of questions outside of NEC including obscure OSHA questions, NFPA72, concrete mix, Neon etc. They are testing the 2020 NEC now.

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
Take an EC prep class. Lots of questions outside of NEC including obscure OSHA questions, NFPA72, concrete mix, Neon etc. They are testing the 2020 NEC now.
Have you taken the test recently ? I have done a few practice tests and thats when the gravity of some of the questions hit me. OSHA,NTC Blue book even a few questions for the business side test that I just completed. Confident I could find the answers but not about the amount of time it will take to do so. My feeling is I will run out of time.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Been a long time since I took any test but passed 4 of them for electrical. I would usually start and answer as many questions correctly as I could answer right off the bat. If you get stuck on a question just skip it for the time being. Get as many right answers in the hopper. If you have been studying the Code you will know a lot of the answers

Just make sure you don't screw up your answer sheet (probably done on computer now).

Then go back to the questions you need to look up. Pick the easiest ones look up the answer and keep moving. Try not to get bogged down. If you skip a question a lot of times you will come across a question on the same topic and you will remember the answer to the one you skipped.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Then go back to the questions you need to look up. Pick the easiest ones look up the answer and keep moving. Try not to get bogged down. If you skip a question a lot of times you will come across a question on the same topic and you will remember the answer to the one you skipped.
Also, find out how the exam is scored. Sometimes there is a penalty for selecting a wrong answer rather than not answering the question at all as a deterrent for guessing (example: Score = R - W/4, where there are four answers to choose from, where a right answer is worth a point, a wrong answer is worth a negative quarter point, and an unanswered question is worth zero points). If, however, in that situation, you can eliminate two of four answers, the odds ride with you if you guess between the remaining two answers.

If it isn't scored that way (i.e., Score = R) then it is better to guess or even choose answers at random for questions you are totally stuck on and not leave any questions unanswered.

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
Been a long time since I took any test but passed 4 of them for electrical. I would usually start and answer as many questions correctly as I could answer right off the bat. If you get stuck on a question just skip it for the time being. Get as many right answers in the hopper. If you have been studying the Code you will know a lot of the answers

Just make sure you don't screw up your answer sheet (probably done on computer now).

Its a Pearson Vue computer based test just like the business one I just completed. Multiple choice. The computer has a timer on the top right side for you to look at. During the questions you can"flag" a question that you would like to review. You can at the end of the test select a drop down menu for all questions you flagged for review. Also in that section if you did not answer a question it will alert you to which ones.

On the business test I found as I was looking for an answer to one question I would come across an answer for a previous question.

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
Also, find out how the exam is scored. Sometimes there is a penalty for selecting a wrong answer rather than not answering the question at all as a deterrent for guessing (example: Score = R - W/4, where there are four answers to choose from, where a right answer is worth a point, a wrong answer is worth a negative quarter point, and an unanswered question is worth zero points). If, however, in that situation, you can eliminate two of four answers, the odds ride with you if you guess between the remaining two answers.

If it isn't scored that way (i.e., Score = R) then it is better to guess or even choose answers at random for questions you are totally stuck on and not leave any questions unanswered.
Multiple choice is the test layout for business and tech. In the business test I answer all questions at the time I read it. Even if its a guess so as I have all questions marked with answers in case of time. I flag all questions that are guesses and return to research the answer in more depth and checking my available time. At some point if Im not able to find the answer I have eliminated the obvious wrong answers I guess with my best thought on which is left.
This is the strategy I hope to employ for the tech side of the test.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Multiple choice is the test layout for business and tech. In the business test I answer all questions at the time I read it. Even if its a guess so as I have all questions marked with answers in case of time. I flag all questions that are guesses and return to research the answer in more depth and checking my available time. At some point if Im not able to find the answer I have eliminated the obvious wrong answers I guess with my best thought on which is left.
Your approach to the test is 100% in my opinion. Good luck, I think you will do fine.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Of course, but I was saying that the way a test is scored, i.e., whether there is a penalty for guessing wrong, it affects the way I approach an exam. In engineering school some exams were graded as Score = R - W/4, and occasionally I heard of someone ending up with a negative score on an exam. That's not good for one's average. :D

Last edited:

sweet88gt

Occupation
Electrician
Of course, but I was saying that the way a test is scored, i.e., whether there is a penalty for guessing wrong, it affects the way I approach an exam. In engineering school some exams were graded as Score = R - W/4, and occasionally I heard of someone ending up with a negative score on an exam. That's not good for one's average. :D
That I am not sure about. The way it was explained was to answer all questions do not leave one blank.