Florida Journeymen...Your Time Has Come

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Thought some of you Florida Journeyman License holders out there would like to hear the latest if you haven't already. The Committee on Regulated Industries has been given approval and a passing vote for Journeyman Licensing requirments here in Florida. Here's how it reads,

Section 2. Paragraph (f) of subsection (3) of section 489.537 Florida Statutes:
(f) To require that one electrical journeyman, who has obtained a certificate of competency from a registered apprenticeship program or a license pusuant to s. 489.5335, prior to year 2002, be present on any non-residential construction site facility of 15,000 gross square feet or more when electrical work in excess of 98 volts is being performed in order to supervise or perform such work, except as provided in s. 489.503. This section does not apply to single-family residential construction or any commercial residential construction that is three stories or less. Any person licensed as a Journeyman Electrician in the state of Florida, prior to year 2002, and whose license has expired, shall have their journeyman certificate reinstated without retesting. The local building official shall issue a thirty (30) day temporary waiver for this journeyman requirement for the purpose of issuing a permit, if proof is provided that no journeyman is available for employment on the construction site. This section of law becomes effective July 1, 2007.
The Florida Home Builders assert the new requirement will "create a staffing nightmare when a company is performing multiple jobs since the same types of electricians will be competing for the same jobs". The Florida Association of Electrical Contractors is supportive of the section. The Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC) are by member vote, 60 percent opposed, and 40 percent in favor of this section.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Florida Journeymen...Your Time Has Come

Bryan, this is excellent, Bravo!!! :)

Personally I would like to see it in the residential end also.

I can see why the builders don't want it. ;)

With higher standards in place, higher skill levels and wages must follow.

Roger

[ July 18, 2005, 09:52 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

southernboys

Can I just say this may be positive and negative. The positive is we will finally see a need for people to give a darn and go get thier jman card. Which means more mony for people who give a darn. The scary thing is there are some great electricians who may not be good at taking tests. Then there are some guys that cant bend conduit that are book smart and will pass the test. So do you make this guy your leadman? I hope not however youll have the jman that holds the card insisting on being paid more then the guy who should be leading the job. The other problem I have is unfortunately Ive been through a few companys. Now if theyll take my four years signed off by my supposive state approved apprentiship program. And allow me take the jmans test then Im all for it as it should add more value to my net worth to a good company. Now will they give me credit for the Al companys Ive worked for probaly not. Yet another problem as I live on the Al FL border. This is just my opinion.

bphgravity

There are several good things about this requirment. First of all, this is not going to hurt the little guy and mom-and-pop shops. But this should be an idication to small shops to be ready for expansion of journeyman requirements. I feel it is inevitable now.

I agree that an exam is not the best way to determine qualification, however this bill put in the provision that a graduate of an apprenticeship program meets the requirement. So there is really no excuss. Hopefully some of those guys out there that can't pass a test did at least complete an apprenticeship. This way, their efforts are still awarded.

Most importantly, I feel, is the grand-fathering clause is not all inclusive. Only those previously licensed or a graduate of the an apprenticeship program will qualify for grand-fathering. Yes, there are going to be some mad people out there that have worked in the industry for years and years and never bothered to go to school or get their license, and now they are left out og the game. But this is much better than anyone with a screwdriver in their pocket and a few hours in the field automatically obtaining a license.

southernboys

Brian whats up with the prior to 2002. Also cow can I find out if I complete the aprentiship program im in will this allow me to sit for the test. Where can I find this info out. Would like to real whole ammendment thanks

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Southernboys, I'm sure Bryan will be able to give you more information, but for the time being you can check out the contacts below, they may be able to help.

Electrical Contractors Licensing Board
Department of Business & Professional Regulation
1940 North Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0771
(850) 487-1395 Fax: (850) 922-2918

www.myflorida.com

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.