florida test question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yordy78

New User
Occupation
Journayman
hello ,any buddy can help me with this question ,i did my florida test and i had this question ( where you not need arc fault protection ,bedroom receptacle ,bedroom light, bedroom ceiling fan and bathroom light ,for me all 4 need arc fault protection?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are correct.

Here is what the ne states but I don't know if Fa has any amendments. Bathrooms and unfinished basements are exempt

A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-
ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in
dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining rooms, living
rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or
areas shall be protected by any of the means described in
210.12(A)(1) through (6)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
hello ,any buddy can help me with this question ,i did my florida test and i had this question ( where you not need arc fault protection ,bedroom receptacle ,bedroom light, bedroom ceiling fan and bathroom light ,for me all 4 need arc fault protection?
210.12 does not require AFCI protection for the bathroom outlets.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
Well now... if the bathroom light is fed separately from a source which does require AFCI, than it would also require it. just twisting the knife...

Rock86

Occupation
Thats like when garage circuits where exclude, but if you had a switch for the garage light in a space which required afci, you would need to AFCI that circuit.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Thats like when garage circuits where exclude, but if you had a switch for the garage light in a space which required afci, you would need to AFCI that circuit.
Which is funny, because the afci rule was supposedly pushed by people driving nails for pictures in the walls hitting the wires causing the arc. In garages, they are driving big screw hooks for bicycle racks and workbenches, which are much more likely to go deep enough to hit a wire......

Rock86

Occupation
Which is funny, because the afci rule was supposedly pushed by people driving nails for pictures in the walls hitting the wires causing the arc. In garages, they are driving big screw hooks for bicycle racks and workbenches, which are much more likely to go deep enough to hit a wire......
You mean I'm not supposed to drill through the nail plates to hang my pin up girl photos?

James L

Occupation
Electrician
That’s what I was thinking, but since nearly every thing else is anymore, don’t know why they would exempt bathrooms. Maybe the cheap Chinese hair dryers caused too much nuisance tripping?
Probably because people don't usually fall asleep in a bathroom. Sleeping areas were, after all, the original areas to be protected

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Probably because people don't usually fall asleep in a bathroom. Sleeping areas were, after all, the original areas to be protected
....that was a ruse by the manufactures to a least get it in the code, expect the entire house to be AFCI protected within 6 years $$$$.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I never understood how bedrooms could be any more susceptible to "arc faults" than anywhere else, other than manipulation of data to make it seem so.

-Hal
When afci requirements first came out, the reasoning I heard was that electric blankets would (or could) over time get damaged heating elements. And that was why it was bedroom receptacles - not generically "outlets" as written.

I remember all the municipalities here struggling with exact wording vs. intended meaning.

At the time I wondered, if it's a problem with heating blankets, why don't they just require the afci to be placed on the cord? Make it like blow dryers, which have been required to have GFCI protection built in since 1991

James L

Occupation
Electrician
You mean I'm not supposed to drill through the nail plates to hang my pin up girl photos?
I've seen sombody do that to hang a shelf. He said the screw wouldn't go in because it was hitting something metal. So he drilled a 3/16 inch hole through the metal to get to the wood behind it. 🤦‍♂️

He found out that screws and wires don't get along all that well 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.