Fluke I400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saywatt

My 322 was stolen so now I'm pondering buying another one or getting the I400 clamp for my 179.
I've always used stand alone clamps, but am curious about the i400.

Pro's and cons?

wptski

My 322 was stolen so now I'm pondering buying another one or getting the I400 clamp for my 179.
I've always used stand alone clamps, but am curious about the i400.

Pro's and cons?
The i400 output is 1mA/1A. Does the 179 have a low AC mA input? You have to consider in input 1mA/1A or 1mV/1A. You might want the i400s 40A/400A which has an 1mV/1A input but has a BNC cord, so you'll need a adapter.

Saywatt

The 179 does have the ma input.

I like the idea of being able to use the min/max with the i400, a feature the $100-$200.00 stand alone clamps don't have.

It also looks like the i400 can get into tighter areas than even the 322 can. I also like the idea of everything being in one pouch.

My concern is the accuracy, especially with lower amp circuits, and if the i400 will hold up to every day use. Not sure about having to wrestle with the extra wire on the plug in either.

I hate decisions.:confused:

G._S._Ohm

. . .if the i400 will hold up to every day use.

I hate decisions.:confused:
This question is answered by the Mean Time Between Failures number which is either measured or calculated and no company will tell you what it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decision_theory
Usually I look at the features I need vs. the dollars paid for each feature for each choice. That should leave you with less choices, not more, and a clearer understanding of how much you are willing to pay for what you really want and what you are likely to need in the near future. Probably you can expect to pay more and get less value for a be-all and end-all meter. And the correlation between price and quality has been studied extensively and found to be near zero, on average.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.