Fluke T+ Pro GFCI Test Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wptski

The initial production run of the T+Pro was designed to conform to the European RCD Test (equivalent of the GFCI) with a trip level of 25 mA. After that first run, Fluke decreased the trip level to the UL standard of 6 to 9 mA. If you have one of the original units and need the lower UL trip level, contact Fluke Customer Service at 1-888-99-FLUKE (1-888-993-5853). They will verify your serial number and replace your T+ Pro when received but you have to pay the shipping to them, ground UPS return is free.

You can test your T+ Pro grounding by 120VAC through a DMM setup to read ACma, press the GFCI test button. The earlier version will draw 25-30ma for about one second and shut off. The newer one will draw 6-9ma, the -/+ lights will flash, buzzer will sound and the test lasts for about seven seconds.

wptski

don_resqcapt19 said:
Why does it test at 6-9mA when the UL standard says the trip point for our GFCIs must be 4-6mA?
Well, I guess that you didn't bother to call, hey? It adheres to UL1435 standards which states 6-9ma. What UL standard number are you refering to?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bill,
What is UL1435?....the standard for Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters is UL943 and the UL White book says: "Class A GFCIs trip when the current to ground has a value in the range of 4 through 6 mA."
Don

wptski

don_resqcapt19 said:
Bill,
What is UL1435?....the standard for Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters is UL943 and the UL White book says: "Class A GFCIs trip when the current to ground has a value in the range of 4 through 6 mA."
Don
Don:

I was going to edit my post when I couldn't find a UL 1435 either but didn't get to it yet! I had passed the question along earlier. I found out about the UL943 standard also.

I'll post back when I get an answer.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bill,
I found some info and it looks like there is a UL 1436 standard for "testers" and it appears that is does specify the 6-9mA that you stated. The standard for the GFCI says it must trip at 4 to 6 mA, but the standard for the tester says it must apply a 6 to 9 mA ground fault for testing purposes.
Don

wptski

Don:

I looked at the UL1436 but the info I had access to didn't mention any current levels. So, I guess that the T+ Pro is using the proper UL standard then. Thanks!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bill,
So, I guess that the T+ Pro is using the proper UL standard then.
Yes it does...I just wonder why the standard for the tester starts at the maximum trip point for the device being tested?
Don

NoVA Comms Power

don_resqcapt19 said:
... I just wonder why the standard for the tester starts at the maximum trip point for the device being tested? ...
Don:

Wouldn't any single-current tester always have to have a setpoint higher than the trip range of the device being tested?

i.e. If it is permissable for a GFCI to allow up-to 6mA of "unbalanced" current flow, then the "low end" of any "single-current" testing device must be higher than the max permissable 6 mA of unbalanced current.

For the tester's "upper end" it would also seem that 9 mA (50% more than the GFCI's max permissable imbalance) is also a fairly reasonable value.

Of course, I'd agree 100% that a better and more "elegant" tester (and one which mimics the UL 943 test procedure) would start below 4 mA ... and "ramp up" to above 6mA.

A "trip" below 4 mA ... or a "no trip" above 6 mA ... would both constitute a "failure" of the GFCI.

Jim

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.