Fluke T5-600 testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

four

I am in a shop that uses the fluke T5-600 testers. I thought these were handy testers because they have voltage,resistance, and current testing capabilities all in one and are not to much larger than average wiggy. The problem I have seen is if you take a voltage measurement and set meter down and use it again in a short amount of time the display will read 0 volts when testing a live circuit. It is like the meter timed out but the display stayed on. I have seen this with 3 different meters over last month. This obviously is very dangerous and I was wondering if anyone else has seen this or if you use these meters you might want to watch out. I have notified fluke but have not received a response. I keep you posted

four

Re: Fluke T5-600 testers

Has anyone seen message from Mike Holt about fluke meter recall. It is for Fluke meters 175, 177, and 179, but apparently it has the exact same problem I was having with the meter in the earlier post from a couple of months ago. If you have these meters watch it Im sure we havent heard the end of this one. Fluke hasent admitted there is a problem with this one yet but I know its there.

four

Re: Fluke T5-600 testers

Sounds familiar!!!!!!

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Fluke Corp. of Everett, Wash. is voluntarily recalling about 40,000 digital multimeters. About 17,200 were sold in the U.S. Multimeters are used to measure voltage, resistance and current. The recalled units can take longer than normal, up to 18 seconds, to display readings of AC voltages above 500 volts. Users can misinterpret the delayed reading to mean that high voltage is not present. If high voltage is present, users could be exposed to a risk of shock, electrocution and thermal burns.

Fluke has received four reports from Canada and Australia in which users experienced a delayed response while measuring high voltage, though no injuries were reported.

The recalled Fluke digital multimeters measure up to 1,000 volts alternating current (VAC) and direct current (VDC). "Fluke" and "175," "177" or "179" are written on the front of the unit. The tester body is yellow and black and measures about 7.25 inches long by 3.5 inches wide. Recalled units have a serial number below 79000000. The serial number is written on the back of the instrument under the hinged stand.

Home and hardware stores and industrial distributors nationwide sold these testers from January 2001 through October 2001 for between $170 and $215.

Consumers should stop using these testers immediately and contact Fluke for information on returning the recalled unit for a free repair. Consumers should call Fluke at 800-260-4819 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or go to Fluke's Web site at www.fluke.com/170recall. (08-19-02)

Status
Not open for further replies.