Fluke t5-600

Status
Not open for further replies.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
So my old amprobe DMM died and I needed one in a hurry and this is what they had at the supply store.

It worked ok for what I needed at job site but when I went to test batteries for my headlamp it told me either 1V or 2V. A fully charged AAA is 1.5 or 6 and when it gets down to about 1.3 it's pretty dead, except for the rechargeables which seem to have a bit more oomph.

Meaning this meter is useless for this purpose! I called Fluke and they verified this.

Is it just me, or is this a glaring flaw in a 100 dollar plus meter? The cheapies at Homey D do this function, although I will say that this is a well built meter. I sure wouldn't have bought it if I knew, although maybe I would have anyway since I really needed it to finish the job. (balancing out a panel re actual ampere load on each leg)

iwire

Staff member
I have had a T5-1000 for at least 10 years now and that is not an issue for me. If I need greater accuracy I have DMMs for that.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I have had a T5-1000 for at least 10 years now and that is not an issue for me. If I need greater accuracy I have DMMs for that.

When you buy a T5-600, Fluke says that you are buying a "Voltage, Continuity and Current Tester". They do not claim that it is a multimeter or that it is even useful as a voltmeter.
It is just a voltage tester that happens to include a digital readout.

In short, RTFM before buying, although I understand your situation and sympathize with your disappointment. :(

PS: Even though they claim 3% accuracy on AC current, I would not expect their "Open Jaw(TM)" current tester to compare with a standard clamp ammeter either.
And it is no good for low currents either with +/- 3 count accuracy. (Averaging not RMS too.)

Last edited:

JFletcher

I dont bother checking the voltage on my headlamp batteries; when I cant see well enough anymore because it's too dim, I throw em back on the charger.

I've never had a need for tenths volt resolution/accuracy, tho I can see where for some purposes not having it would be a deal-breaker.

I held off on the T5-600 because we do a fair amount of generator service and it lacks a Hz function.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
"Is it just me, or is this a glaring flaw in a 100 dollar plus meter?"

Thanks for weighing in, guys, it looks like it's just me ! :)

macmikeman

T5-600's can certainly take a lot more physical abuse than solenoid voltage testers. I always manage to drop testers from t-bar ceilings or tops of ladders, and the Fluke model still works afterwards, whereas, that is almost certain to destroy the solenoid type voltage testers. I still love my old knopp though and use it often.

Status
Not open for further replies.