Fluorescent lights in residential kitchens

Status
Not open for further replies.

markcolopy

I've had a inspector tell me that "The Code" requires a fluorescent light over the sink in my kitchen with a switch adjacent to the door to the kitchen.

I have under cabinet halogen fixtures with a touch switch under the cabinets.

Does the NEC have such a requirement as the inspector suggests?

hassaf

Re: Fluorescent lights in residential kitchens

This is not part of the NEC. But it's part of Title 24, part 6 of the of State Code of Regulation and the energy efficiency standards which applies to all Uniform building code (UBC) occupancies.

The standards require that general lighting in kitchens must have an efficacy of at least 40 lumens per watt and controlled by an accessible switch.

Incandescent and halogen have a typical 14-20 lumen per watts, whereas fluorescent have a 70-90 lumens per watts.

bphgravity

Are you sure the inspector said "the code" and was not enforcing a plans specification? See section 210.70 :)

bill addiss

We have to remember that codes are different in many places. The adopted Building Codes dictate the Electrical requirements for that Jurisdiction.

In the case of California (which I believe hassaf is referring to) energy efficient Lighting in some rooms is required.

Hopefully someone more familiar with them than I can jump in and add some details on that.

Bill

jgcruz

Bill, California Energy Efficiency Standards require general lighting in residential dwellings to have lamps with an efficacy of not less than 40 lumens per watt. This requirement is needed in kitchen and bathrooms. There are other alternatives to the bathroom requirement, you could use the required lighting in utility room, laundry room, or garage; and outdoor lighting and a high efficacy luminaire need not be installed in a bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.