Flush floor outlet box and cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a client that wants several floor outlets in a wood floor. He wants them to be flush and not raised. I told him that can be done but will take some precise work, probably have to make a jig and use a router. He has some real good carpenters there so I think they can handle it. Problem is, the subfloor is solid 2x6 on edge. What kind of box would I need? Obviously something on the thinner side like a 4 sq 1 1/2 deep would be better than a deep gem box. Wiring method is MC and there probably needs to be a feed in and out so I cant go with a shallow gem box. Any recommendations on cover and box combinations?

jfreisen1

Occupation
BS-EE, Master Electrician, ICC E1, E2, E3
I have had this issue before with customers. Wanting a flat surface and not the normal bump raise. Try this. I used it before.
Arlington FLB4364MB Brass Drop in Floor box. With a sub floor, I might be better for you. Best wishes
Arlington_Box_3.jpg

I have had this issue before with customers. Wanting a flat surface and not the normal bump raise. Try this. I used it before.
Arlington FLB4364MB Brass Drop in Floor box. With a sub floor, I might be better for you. Best wishes
thanks ill check it out!
2x6 on edge? Like a nail laminated timber panel, 5.5" thick? What's the structurally allowable hole/notch in something like that?

Cheers, Wayne
Yeah its an old mill. I was a bit concerned about hacking out some of the floor for a box, but thats on them. I assume its fine due to the massive amount of wood there, and that its is now only dwelling units, no big machinery.

Status
Not open for further replies.