FMC code question

nl3designz

Occupation
EE
I found this in a facility recently and I have some code questions about. There is a 480V breaker panel connected to a distribution point on a wall via FMC. The 480v panel is attached to a 19 inch rack (IT style server rack) which is on casters/wheels. I believe this to be not correct due to 348.12(7). What are your thoughts? Is anyone aware of other codes this does or may violate so I can create a sensible argument to get this changed?

Image of FMC in question

Also, I know I'm new here and I will only use the feedback to help form my own opinion and argument for changing this. I just want to make sure I have a decent amount of code to cite in my argument to secure the funding for a fix.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Looks like they did a good job of providing strain relief at the terminations.
"Subject to physical damage" is, of course, a judgement call but from the picture I would not have too much concern,

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Are you concerned that it's not flexible enough, or it's too fragile?

I doubt that the cabinet will be moved around enough to damage it.

1729782484082.jpeg

nl3designz

Occupation
EE
Thank you for the responses it very appreciated.

Personally, my main driver is I don't want to see someone hurt or have to deal with equipment damage. I did see it as kind of a grey area based on 348.12(7) and was wondering if anyone was aware of any others that could be referenced indicating this a potential problem. My expertise lies more in the area of industrial machinery and industrial control panel designs (UL certified stuff) and felt it relevant to reach out to professionally more versed people in this area. I did go through various OSHA and other NFPA stuff and came up dry.

I tend to agree. It's not that likely for damage, but being a standard 19" server rack its tall and could very easily tip if moved. I know from experience it's far easier to acquire the approval for the $ if there is a real citable need for change. It's basically this with a 400A panel on the side of it:

00405925_1__95848.1714514513.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see that FMC as subject to physical damage. Given that it has the proper support and the rigid nature of the flex with the condcutors inside as Larry stated the flex will actually keep the unit from tipping over. IMO it's a non-issue.

If there really is a tipping concern then you could remove the wheels and secure the rack.