Foam Fire Extinguishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MR. S

Any input on using foam fire extinguishers on electrical fires? They say they are to be used for class A & B fires but are good up to 35KV if used on class C fires. Thanks in advance, Mr. S

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have never seen a foam based fire extinguisher with a Class C rating. Do you have a manufacturer and model number?
That being said there is only one way to extinguisher an electrical fire...kill the power and after that you have a Class A fire or as some in the fire service like to say you have a solid Class B.
Don

kkwong

Hmmm...never heard of a foam PFE being used on Class C fires...I know of instances where you can put foam from an engine on to a Class C fire, but it is not recommended.

MR. S

The brand is a Jewel fire extinguisher. Did some research, even though they said thier foam has a conductivity of 35kv and not designed for use on electrical fires but resists electricity, all of the fire extinguishers said "Caution do not use on electrical fires". Sounds to me it's an added safety in case someone grabbed it and used it on an electrical fire.

zog

That sound like one of those crazy chineese translations, makes no sense to me. i would use a foam one on any electrical fire, ever. Kill the power as Don said and use C02 or PKP (Corrosive)

Status
Not open for further replies.