Follow up to Stevenfyeager's post called 4 wire oven powered with 3 wire house source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fragile_Bill

Occupation
Retired
Like Steven, I am encountering a 3-wire house source consisting of 2 hots and a bare ground wire in Romex sheathing. It is a dedicated circuit. The house was built in 1978. The 46-year-old GE single oven I just removed has 4 wires. The white neutral and the bare ground wire from the oven were clamped together and attached to the bare ground wire from the house source. The plate on the front of the oven says "120/240 volts". This oven, wired this way, has operated without incident for 46 years. I have looked at the installation instructions for new GE, Frigidaire, and Whirlpool ovens. They all have 3-wire installation instructions based on 2 hots and a neutral, not 2 hots and a ground. Is it safe for me to wire a new oven in the same manner that this old oven was wired? Thank you.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Like Steven, I am encountering a 3-wire house source consisting of 2 hots and a bare ground wire in Romex sheathing. It is a dedicated circuit. The house was built in 1978. The 46-year-old GE single oven I just removed has 4 wires. The white neutral and the bare ground wire from the oven were clamped together and attached to the bare ground wire from the house source. The plate on the front of the oven says "120/240 volts". This oven, wired this way, has operated without incident for 46 years. I have looked at the installation instructions for new GE, Frigidaire, and Whirlpool ovens. They all have 3-wire installation instructions based on 2 hots and a neutral, not 2 hots and a ground. Is it safe for me to wire a new oven in the same manner that this old oven was wired? Thank you.
Bill what are you retired from?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Then we must close this thread.
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.