Following listed 250.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have following split bolts used to bond bonding jumper to grounding electrode conductor above ground.

It is for cell site and it’s going to be outside but above ground next to tower

I was wondering if the split bolts is suitable for out door above ground use and listed connector grounding and bonding 250.8?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
It is listed for direct burial so I see no issue with it being outside above grade. It is listed to UL 467 and that is the "Grounding and Bonding Equipment" standard.

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
And if your GEC is continuous per 250.62(C) or complies with conditions (1)-(4).

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A spit bolt has a higher resistance than cad weld so in a lighting event thats bad. Cell towers go above and beyond Art 250 requirements
One I did had a 10x10x4 foundation, lots of rebar, 3 10 ft 3/4" ground rods connected with 3/0 copper. but a cell tower can withstand a direct lighting strike

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
A spit bolt has a higher resistance than cad weld so in a lighting event thats bad. Cell towers go above and beyond Art 250 requirements
One I did had a 10x10x4 foundation, lots of rebar, 3 10 ft 3/4" ground rods connected with 3/0 copper. but a cell tower can withstand a direct lighting strike

But it’s not in compliance with NEC code and problem is you can’t Caldwell bonding jumper to GEC it needs to be continuous right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I meant split bolt does not violate or make it non compliance any code section does it? It’s a matter of design. Also I am bonding bonding jumper to GEC which needs to be continuous so how can Caldwell bonding jumper to GEC make GEC continuous?

GEC does not need to be continuous, it can be irreversibly spliced. I would put cad welding in the irreversible category.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
GEC does not need to be continuous, it can be irreversibly spliced. I would put cad welding in the irreversible category.

GEC is existing from tower to ground ring. Bonding jumper connect to GEC thru split bolt. If designer electrical engineer chooses split bolts then I cannot do anything. I am not the designer only enforce code. Is it in any code that split bolts cannot be install in cell sites?

GEC is existing from tower to ground ring. Bonding jumper connect to GEC thru split bolt. If designer electrical engineer chooses split bolts then I cannot do anything. I am not the designer only enforce code. Is it in any code that split bolts cannot be install in cell sites?
Don answered the question post #2.

FWIW I dont think what you have is a GEC.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Don answered the question post #2.

FWIW I dont think what you have is a GEC.

Little background cell tower they are doing structural work so they are drilling thru structural plan with engineer guidance metallic plates. The metallic plates are provided bonding jumper which thru split bolt connect to jumper whatever you call it from tower to ground ring.

The other side of the bonding jumper side structural plate has connects to the structural plates with ground clamp.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer

Is it in code or any other NFPA that split bolts annoy be used for lighting protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.