for exams, would you bring the handbook or the codebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

97catintenn

The exams in TN are open book and they allow both the handbook and the codebook. But to me, it seems repetitive to have both books. I've been studying with the code book and all my highlights are in that one, so I am hesitant to use the handbook. And then, I'm confused as to why we even have two books. What's the purpose of having a codebook and a handbook?

Does everyone own both? And since the handbook has more information, why is there a codebook/not handbook version?

Everybody gets to ask stupid questions, so please give me your input :angel:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The exams in TN are open book and they allow both the handbook and the codebook. But to me, it seems repetitive to have both books. I've been studying with the code book and all my highlights are in that one, so I am hesitant to use the handbook. And then, I'm confused as to why we even have two books. What's the purpose of having a codebook and a handbook?

Does everyone own both? And since the handbook has more information, why is there a codebook/not handbook version?

The test should be based on the soft cover NEC only.

The HANDBOOK is great but the commentary is just that commentary and is not the code it's self and that is what you want to use to take the test..

On the other hand there is the Handbook and it is great for commentary and Graphics and is a good tool to have as well... I have both because no matter how long you read the NEC You will never Master it because it is changed every 3 years, some guys come very close to it though and i bet you can find them right here..

I wish you the Best of luck on the test..........:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

You can use either one. There would be no need to have both. The handbook (as has been described) is the code book with descriptions and pictures added by the author(s) of the handbook. The best one to use is the one you've been studying out of. You already said you have your code book highlighted, so go with that.
I used my handbook because I had it tabbed and highlighted and knew where everything was. If yours is the spiral bound as Jumper stated, it will lay flat and the pages won't be turning on you.
Good luck with the test. Is it still administered by PSI?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In Illinois there are a number of communities that require you pass a test, but they don't offer one. Our small town is one that has a test and to limit cheating, you can't have anything other than your pen or pencil in the test room. We provide the code books. We collect your cell phone and you don't get it back until you turn in your test. The pass rate is about 50%. It was higher before we took steps to counter the cheating.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Codebook. The most important part is using the index and getting the right section.

The handbook had too much info to look through when taking a test.

I agree, at 800 pages the codebook is enough to look through when you only have a limited amount of time. I recently took a few inspector exams and used the spiral bound codebook because it lies flat when open to any page and stays open. Also the binder type codebook is great too because you can remove the index and have it available for quick reference without have to flip back and forth to the back of the book.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I'm another that only used the code book for exams. The handbook is fine when you have time to read the commentary which is not the case when taking exams.

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In NC you cannot bring anything to the test except yourself. They supply everything and it is the code book not the handbook.

luckyshadow

one advantage to having both the handbook and the code book is 2 index's.
Use the index in one and look up the code section in another.

I used a separate index when I took my masters. I looked up in the index and kept my left index finger on the spot in the index, and used my right hand to go to the code section. Saves time when you don't have to flip back and forth from the index to the code section when there are numerous sections listed for what your looking for in the index.

resistance

Answer: Whatever floats your boat:D. I had no problem using the handbook---and got done 30 minutes early. But others aren?t me, and we aren?t you. So go with what you feel comfortable with. Regardless of what book you use, if you don?t know how to find things, then it want matter!!!! Just make sure your book is tabbed, and good luck!!

chriskellaway

go with the paperback tabbed it is much easier to flip threw page to page then a hard back handbook,
when it comes to your time limit per question each second counts. I used a regular code book for my
exams and found it easier.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician

Hey at least you get a choice. I've been toying with the idea of getting a contractors license. I would have to buy a new code book since they do not allow ANY hand written notes or highlighting in the book for the test. Or course I've got notes and highlights throughout the entire thing.

Also I bought the 05 handbook along with the regular code book and regretted it. Hardly ever used it. Plus explanations for code section on this forum far out classed any I found in the handbook. So I didn't get the 08 of '11 handbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.