fork lift ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

Can someone come up with a way or two to be able to use a forklift in a Class I Div 1 area ? Would an electric truck be the best suited ? All ideas will be appreciated ?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Can someone come up with a way or two to be able to use a forklift in a Class I Div 1 area ? Would an electric truck be the best suited ? All ideas will be appreciated ?

My knee jerk reaction is no. And, why would you? a Class 1 Div 1 area is an area that has explosive gasses present during normal operations. I think of a paint booth. When you are not spraying and the doors are open the explosive gasses are not present so a car can be driven in to it. If you needed forklift type lifting while in operation, my guess would be it would be something like hydraulic with hoses and a remote tank. The parts would alos likely need to be some sort of non sparking metal that is grounded to prevent sparks.

kwired

Electron manager
As far as NEC goes, I don't think it applies to the forklift.

Other codes and standards associated with the hazardous location are probably still in violation, and still may be even if you had a non electric powered forklift.

WorkSafe

OSHA 1910.178 will tell you what you can/cannot do.

What type of flammable gases or vapors are present? This will tell you if you can use a forklift and what type of forklift. Depending on type of gases, you would need a EX rated forklift.

WorkSafe

yes, you can.

http://www.hitechtrader.com/detail.cfm?autonumber=86082

Miretti Diesel Explosion Proof Forklift
$98,500.00 - HiTechTrader.com

Careful on how you word that. Like I said before, there are some Class 1, Div 1 where NO lift trucks are allowed, regardless of forklift rating.

1910.178(c)(2)(i)
Power-operated industrial trucks shall not be used in atmospheres containing hazardous concentration of acetylene, butadiene, ethylene oxide, hydrogen (or gases or vapors equivalent in hazard to hydrogen, such as manufactured gas), propylene oxide, acetaldehyde, cyclopropane, diethyl ether, ethylene, isoprene, or unsymmetrical dimethyl hydrazine (UDMH).

bobgorno

Try this - Chapter 4 of NFPA? 505
Fire Safety Standard for
Powered Industrial Trucks
Including Type Designations,
Areas of Use, Conversions,
Maintenance, and
Operations

KentAT

At my natural gas compressor station, we would issue a Hot Work Permit and continuously monitor the area with gas detection equipment. This is, of course, is for temporary use only.

Status
Not open for further replies.