Fork Truck Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pillsburydman

Occupation
Pre-master
Looking for clarification on a project I didn’t get to do. Is the other contractor to code or was I over building.

Scenario- Feed two battery chargers for fork lifts from a 100amp bucket, voltage 480v each charger draws 39.4 amps from nameplate.

I recommend 90amp fuses with 3awg to 6x6 box between disconnects to split off to both disconnects with 3awg, fused disconnects with 40 amp fuses.

What is being installed is 80amp fuses with 8awg to both disconnects non fused with both 8awg landed on bottom side of bucket.

Go easy on me my first post

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The length of the wire would have to be 25' or less and the load end would have to land on an OCPD that has a rating that does not exceed the ampacity of the wire.

Pillsburydman

Occupation
Pre-master
Alright so let’s say they changed it to fused disconnects and bucket is 200 ft away.

My understanding is the wire is supposed to be sized to OCPD on unlimited tap length, or am I wrong?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Alright so let’s say they changed it to fused disconnects and bucket is 200 ft away.

My understanding is the wire is supposed to be sized to OCPD on unlimited tap length, or am I wrong?
Unless the conductor is outside, except at the load end the unlimited tap rule does not apply. If it would apply, the tap conductor ampacity must be equal to or greater than the rating of the load end OCPD.

Status
Not open for further replies.