Form 7 vs Form 8 Conduit Bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

woods95662

Can someone explain the difference to me? I'm not finding a clear explanation on the difference. Some say it's in the cover and others say it's in the size of the body.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You can always remove and replace a cover on a form 7, but sometimes that becomes very difficult on other types of conduit bodies where the cover attaches to the conduit body that uses a screw into a tapped hole in the conduit body.

woods95662

The covers seem to be the mystery. OCAL for example I have seen Form 7 and 8 bodies be either the wing or screw type and they don't differentiate between the 2 types in the catalog. I guess at the end of the day it's up to the manufacturer it doesn't seem to be standardized.

DougAles

The covers seem to be the mystery. OCAL for example I have seen Form 7 and 8 bodies be either the wing or screw type and they don't differentiate between the 2 types in the catalog. I guess at the end of the day it's up to the manufacturer it doesn't seem to be standardized.

Thank you for your question woods95662

I took a screen capture from page 18 of our catalog and attached it to this post.

Our full Ocal catalog can be downloaded here http://tnblnx3.tnb.com/emAlbum/albums//us_resource/cat23_oc1_bookmarked.pdf
(requires Adobe reader)

I hope this information shows Ocal follows the industry standard of form 7 covers using clips and form 8 covers using screws.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 18

Marketwatcher

New User
Occupation
Electrician
like Augie47 said above you can see the real difference in the dimensions on this manufacturer's web site.http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/crousehinds/industrial-products/catalog-pdfs/fittings/form7.pdf

The form 8 is biger for more volume cu.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I normally ordered form 8 as the standard and looked to a box if needing to go bigger. The shop would send out what they thought I needed regardless.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Interesting I have installed many form 7 and 8's and did not know it was an industry standard. I do the advantage to cover with clips, as it will always be able to be removed

Status
Not open for further replies.