Formula for quantity of 2x4 lay-in fixtures ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryan

Need to know how many 2x4 lay-in fixtures are needed for a 30x45 Morton building with 8 foot ceiling and a 30x30 Morton building with 9 foot ceilings ?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Formula for quantity of 2x4 lay-in fixtures ?

How many Mortons are going to be working in these buildings and how close are their work stations to each other?

What is a Morton building and what will be going on inside of these buildings? The tasks or purpose will be needed for a lighting designer or engineer to tell you this.

Roger

ryan_618

What color are the walls? What color is the carpet? What kind of work occurs in the building? I think I would let the designer deal with this one. Hard to satisfy everyone.

I'm with Roger on this one: What the H%*L is a morton building? They seem to be popular on this forum these days!

[ September 05, 2003, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

bryan

A Mortan Building is a metal skinned,wood stud wall building on a concrete slab.Walls are sheetrock painted white and the floor is left natural.The ceilings is a 2x4 grid layout with 2x4 lay-in flourecent fixtures.The fixtures are 4 tube 120 volt with cool white bulbs.

ron

Search on the internet for "zonal cavity calculation". It is a basic formula.
Assuming that you want 40 footcandles on the floor, and many other assumptions regarding fixture type, etc:
30 x 45 = 12 fixtures
30 x 30 = 8 fuxtures

cselectric

If you happen to know the desired footcandle ratings you can punch them into Lightware 7.0 (a free program available through Lithonia's websight.) given the footcandles desired, the style of fixture and lamp, and a few other design variables the program will produce a lighting layout for you.

gregoryelectricinc

Bryan, I knew what a Morton Building was. You must be from the midwest??? I agree with cselect, go download that program. I personally use Lithonia's "Visual" program. They don't give that one away though. Good Luck

cselectric

thanks for the correction Gregory. Lightware is actually a free CD that contains catalogs for Lithonia, as well as the other Acutity lighting product lines. It also contains the Beta version of Visual. It doesn't compare to the professional version, but if your goal is to run basic lighting layouts (4 sided room, single ceiling height, single fixture style) it works great. I figured on a basic office or factory layout in a Morton (glorified pole barn as I recall) it would do the trick. If the room is a bit more involved, then one would need to upgrade to the full version of Visual, which is worth every penny spent IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.