forumula for lighting maintenance contracts . .?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
had a call about a lighting maintenance contract in a grocery store. they want us to visit quarterly and repair any damaged lights.

never been asked this before so i'm unfamiliar with how to reach a price.

anyone involved with this have tips i can use?

all i've come up with is figuring 3 hours labor each quarter for ballast and lamp replacement (less than 60 fixtures; 96" strips); i figured we might end up replacing lamps on 2-3 fixtures and possibly a ballast. so looking at a total of 12 hrs per year, 4 trip charges divided by 12 and thats how i came up w/ the monthly service agreement price. parts would be billed separately @ normal markup.

does this sound correct?

i haven't given the customer the price yet but told them we would have to fix every fixture currently out of order to do the service agreement, which is about 25 of them.

cadpoint

Last time my local grocery store refit the lighting, they did it in the evening and into the night.
I would tend to think that evening and night might be a consideration for all parties envolved.

25 of 60 lights are out now? I think I'd make them two different offers!

Rewire

here is my formula ,I figure that I will replace every ballast and every tube over a five year period. So 60 fixtures comes to 120 tubes + 60 ballasts and 45 hours labor. 4 visits per year x 5 =20 visits 45 hours/20 = 2.25 hr per visit add 1 hr for staging and clean up thats 3.25 hr. so 3.25 x 20 = 65hr
120 tubes cost = xxxx.xx
60 ballast cost = xxxx.xx
65/hr labor cost =xxxx.xx
20trip charge cost=xxxx.xx

total /5yr gives you your yearly charge.

krisinjersey

And then

And then

We provide this all the time. Lighting in a store that has customers running around your lift/ladder is dangerous so we only do them early in the am or after closing. You should definetly do the repair first to get yourself a base line. With half the lights out already you may want to try to push an upgrade and then maintenance. We do a full layout of the store so we both have a map of the lighting. Then each fixture gets numbered on the map and the fixture so we know which ones have been repaired incase of a warranty call. If you offering quartely maintenance there won't be many to change after the first go around until the end of the contract if you stretch it over 5 years.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
thanks for the info.

rewire, do you have any statistical data from your contracts? Do you keep track of repairs to see if your lifespan figures are fairly accurate?

And I'm assuming you guys have a clause for catastrophic failures also (acts of God and such)?

Rewire

thanks for the info.

rewire, do you have any statistical data from your contracts? Do you keep track of repairs to see if your lifespan figures are fairly accurate?

And I'm assuming you guys have a clause for catastrophic failures also (acts of God and such)?

We have two catagories repair and replacement. Repair is for a bad ballast and replacement is when we change tubes and change over to an electronic ballsast.

Just based on repairs we are well below our estimate, those old ballast last forever,but combined we are on target.

We spelled out that we cover normal wear and tear and excluded all others,fire.flood,lightning.vandalism add this list is not conclusive.

satcom

Our maint contract says in writing that we will be there on a set schedule, we are not crazy enough to warrant any existing lighting.

Status
Not open for further replies.