FPE breakers fire hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do a lot of work for realtors/home inspections and every so often we hear that stablock breakers are a fire hazard! I've looked at the CPSC site they say they investigated and found them OK. Is there any evidence to the contrary?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Joe, this is a pretty common question. Do a search on this forum for FPE breakers and you'll find a wealth of information.

Any Jurisdictions that ban stab-loc

Any Jurisdictions that ban stab-loc

I appreciate the response but this data is all 1/4 of a century old. I would think that if these breakers are such a hazard (and I do believe that they are) that some jurisdiction would ban them or issue some edict about them. Does anyone know about any jurisdiction or authority that has taken action about these bad boys.

celtic

Joseph Alexander said:
I appreciate the response but this data is all 1/4 of a century old. I would think that if these breakers are such a hazard (and I do believe that they are) that some jurisdiction would ban them or issue some edict about them. Does anyone know about any jurisdiction or authority that has taken action about these bad boys.
If you would take the time to do a search, you would plainly see that the info is not 1/4 century old....here's a hint:
New Jersey, Yacout, Class Action, 2004

Last edited:

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
FPE and Zinsco dedicated to being weldomatic early day risk? Say it ain't so!

Go here for a bigger picture as to selecting gear!

JJoyce

They are definitely a bad design. I encourage people to replace them or put it in there budget. I have seen them fail to trip on more than one occasion. There is a reason they lost there UL approval many years ago.

celtic

While having one of my jobs inspected, the HO asked in there was any problem with FPE...the inspector basically said it was all hype...I disagreed citing the Yacout Class Action...which left the HO at square one.

This inspector and I have known each other for years, I wasn't about to get into a debate in front of my customer....after the inspection was over, I gave the HO one of the printouts I carry in regards to FPE.

The HO can read the info, do their own research and call me back.

Status
Not open for further replies.