FPL Cable and THHN in same raceway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sptiner

Does anyone know of a code ruling that specifically allows or prevents FPL cable and THHN installed in the same conduit? Specifically in the following circumstance, I am using 18/2 FPLR twisted shielded cable for my addressable loop (SLC)which is power-limited, and #12 THHN conductors for my Audible/Visual devices (NAC)circuits which are also power-limited? I have researched and debated this topic with my co-workers and the code (NEC 760) seems vary vague on this subject and left up to interpretation, depending on which siden of the topic you are supporting. I would love to your opinions and Article #'s that support them. Thank you for your help on this!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: FPL Cable and THHN in same raceway?

sptiner,
The rules on seperation of power limited fire alarm cables from other conductors or cables appears in 760.55. Your application is not prohibited by this section. It appears that your application is premitted by 760.56.
Don

sptiner

Don,
Thank you for the reply. Although, are you using the 2002 Code? Our AHJ's are still on 1999. The section your referring is 760-54 (99 edition). My interpretation is the same, that it is allowed, although some of my co-workers don't believe so. I'll have to show them the post, as I am unable to argue their side.

gwz2

No way am I disputing.

Is the NAC system ID'd as power limited?

I seem to always have trouble getting that information from the labels I see in/on the equipment.

gwz2

Status
Not open for further replies.