Free Access to the 2005 NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Free Access to the 2005 NEC

The link provided jumps to something on the nfpa web site that refuses to load on my computer. It appears there may be some kind of online access to other NFPA codes as well.

luke warmwater

Simply put, that is awesome!!!

Jim Walker will be glad to see it. A FREE online 2005 NECin easy to use format.

Follow the link. It takes you to a thread on Joe's site aith another link.
Click that link and you're on NFPA site.
Then there's a JAVA applett direct link to the 2005 NEC.
At the bottom of the page, there is a forward and back page button (to read page by page) and there is a serch function to the right of those that brings up a drop-down menue to go directly to any article of your choosing.

Thanx for the link, Joe! :D

I give you (5) gold stars!

[ August 02, 2005, 09:33 AM: Message edited by: luke warmwater ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Todd, what's nice about this is it's made available from the NFPA themselves.

Now there can be no complaining about it not being made available for free.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I just called the NFPA to ask whether some type of copyright infringement is in progress. I was told that they have recently made the decision to make the 2005 NEC accessible, without cost, directly from their web site. The information is available as a "read only" page. It is not possible to copy, print, or otherwise duplicate what is given to you for free. Access requires you to agree to their terms and conditions.

Here is a direct link to the page. NEC 2005

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I just tried out the free version. The book is there. There is a table of contents available; it pops up as a separate window. You can click on a paragraph title, and the window that contains the code book will open to that page. You can also turn pages, one by one, using arrow buttons at the bottom of the page.

This version has no "search" feature. If you want to find the rule about AFCI protection, you cannot search for that term. You have to look at the table of contents, and then read page by page until you find what you want.

This may be a concession by the NFPA to all of those (including some members of this Forum) who asserted that any law must be available for any citizen to read for free. That is only my guess. I will say that this version is not entirely convenient to use. But it is free, and the entire book is there.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by charlie b:
I will say that this version is not entirely convenient to use. But it is free, and the entire book is there.
It definitely would not be practical for a tradeperson to rely on, but it is available to all. ;)

Roger

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by petersonra:
The link provided jumps to something on the nfpa web site that refuses to load on my computer. It appears there may be some kind of online access to other NFPA codes as well.
The NFPA has indeed made ALL of its documents available for "preview."

Start at this page and follow the instructions:

1. Visit NFPA's Document Information page.
2. Select the document you want to review.
3. Scroll down to the heading "Additional information about this document" and click on the link "Preview this document".

Some browsers are Java inhibited or blocked so the applet may not work on your particular system.

Made "ALL" bold caps added the "instructions" (the last one is easy to overlook)

[ August 02, 2005, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: rbalex ]

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Posted by Rbalex:

The NFPA has indeed made ALL of its documents available for "preview."
Not quite all. I would like to see previews of the handbooks. But if Charlie B's guess about why NFPA is providing free previews is right, we won't get the handbooks since they aren't enacted into law.

Steve

lady sparks lover

I'm happy about this, and I think it was a nice gesture. It might be harder to use, but hey it's free. I do like the handbook, because of the graphics!

Lady :)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by steve66:
...Not quite all. I would like to see previews of the handbooks. But if Charlie B's guess about why NFPA is providing free previews is right, we won't get the handbooks since they aren't enacted into law.

Steve
Not that it matters much, but in NFPA parlance, handbooks and other commentaries aren't documents.

From the "Regs":
Document (Technical Committee Document) ? a Code, Standard, Recommended Practice, or Guide excluding any index thereto.
I suspect Charlie is right, so they made the text "available" and as inconvienient as possible.

physis

By Lady:

I'm happy about this, and I think it was a nice gesture. It might be harder to use, but hey it's free. I do like the handbook, because of the graphics!
I haven't checked it out yet. But I am in total agreement. This is good.

But I can't help but suspect that this is anything but an atruistic effort. I understand that the NFPA is facing some serious peril over the legality associated with "legal code" (as the NEC becomes when adopted as law) and it at the same time enjoying copyright protection.

It's nice, but I doubt the NFPA gave in to this without kicking and screaming the whole way.

It hardly feels like this is something nice if that's the case.

But at the same time I do appreciate the NFPA and wouldn't like to stand witness to their demise either.

I'd rather collect up all the lawyers (that's where politians come from when they grow up) and send them to Antarctica where they can be useful.

Edit: I left out a bunch of words. (Error B.) And I couldn't spell dought right.

[ August 02, 2005, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

jimwalker

I think i will change what i said

"They met the law.Perhaps they seen this cheaper than going to court.Anyways thanks for the link i said "

Thats not totaly true.They said we can't copy it.But we have the right to copy laws and they are not copyright protected.And yes we can save and print,just not supposed to ;)

[ August 02, 2005, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by jimwalker:
And yes we can save and print,just not supposed to ;)
Have you even opened it yet? Do tell how you're doing this, or are you just blowing wind?

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

So in otherwords, you don't know how to do it.

Roger

celtic

Originally posted by charlie b:

This may be a concession by the NFPA to all of those (including some members of this Forum) who asserted that any law must be available for any citizen to read for free. That is only my guess.
I tend to agree with your theory...this "new" version (with the NFPA's blessing) is brought to us by the company(not NFPA) that posted that "other" version that created a ruckus.

Status
Not open for further replies.