Free Standing Jacuzzi Tub Inside a large Walk-in Shower?

Aledrell

I have a customer that wants to put a free standing Anzzi jacuzzi tub inside a wet room.
I didn’t have the free standing specs pre-slab so there is no underground conduit to this tub.
I suggested we saw cut, use uf in pvc with #8 bond wire so that the stub is at least 6” AFF and crimp and heat shrink the pump cord to the uf with gfci breaker.
The owner called the manufacturer and they said that cutting the male cord cap off the motor would violate their warranty and told the owner to run the motor cord to the corner of the wet room/shower and plug it in. This solution doesn’t account for any bonding of any kind.
I’d like some advice on how to handle the situation and help siting the code failures with trying to install this tub. Also, the AJH for this municipality isn’t the most NEC knowledgeable so I can’t count on them to red tag much of anything.
Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
As a corded assembly, any required bonding is internal to the unit. It just needs the power cord's EGC.

I agree that it should be plugged in, e.g., into a GFCI-protected receptacle with a weatherproof cover.

That is much better and safer than trying to waterproof a splice that will be lying on a wet-room floor.

david

I have a customer that wants to put a free standing Anzzi jacuzzi tub inside a wet room.
I didn’t have the free standing specs pre-slab so there is no underground conduit to this tub.
I suggested we saw cut, use uf in pvc with #8 bond wire so that the stub is at least 6” AFF

and crimp and heat shrink the pump cord to the uf with gfci breaker.
you would have to use a chapter 3 wiring method .

Flexible cord could not be used as a chapter 3 wiring method
The owner called the manufacturer and they said that cutting the male cord cap off the motor would violate their warranty

and told the owner to run the motor cord to the corner of the wet room/shower and plug it in. This solution doesn’t account for any bonding of any kind.
406.9(C) a receptacle can not be in a shower zone
I’d like some advice on how to handle the situation
I do not know of any way to supply the manufacturers cord in a shower.

and help siting the code failures with trying to install this tub. Also, the AJH for this municipality isn’t the most NEC knowledgeable so I can’t count on them to red tag much of anything.
Thanks for the help.

Aledrell

As a corded assembly, any required bonding is internal to the unit. It just needs the power cord's EGC.

Manufactures installation guide requires a separate #8 bond wire.

Also it’s a free standing tub that’s supposed to be sealed to the floor like a toilet and not mobile.

16aa48efdc83c4be6a20a6ff202005eb.jpg

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
To metal that is in constant direct contact with the water.
To the pump ( or to the equipment ground fo
r the branch circuit supplying the pump

To the heater

Anyways the manufactures instruction should tell you what needs bonded
In particular bond to the supply and control piping for the shower and the metallic floor drain cover. The latter is particularly important if the drain pipe is metal rather than plastic for at least part of its run.
Technically things like support rails for ADA are not required to be grounded if they are "not likely to become energized", but do you know the length of the support screws and what wiring may be behind them in the wall?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Where is the actual shower zone in relation to this tub? Does this tub usually contain water, like a hot tub, or is it drained after each use, like a hydromassage tub.