free standing sub panel - how to ?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
For a free standing pool equipment sub panel, what would you use to support rust proof struts ? 2" round galvanized fence posts....? A concrete slab will be poured under it. This customer is asking for it to look nice. Thank you

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
What about 4x4 wood posts and 2x crossbars or a panel?
Thanks Larry, I have done that before, and worked fine, but this customer said he didn't like the looks of wood 4x4s. He suggested to me using struts, but I don't know what to support the horizontal struts with. Does anyone use struts vertically in concrete ? Are they too flimsy ? Or will they rust ?

Carultch

Thanks Larry, I have done that before, and worked fine, but this customer said he didn't like the looks of wood 4x4s. He suggested to me using struts, but I don't know what to support the horizontal struts with. Does anyone use struts vertically in concrete ? Are they too flimsy ? Or will they rust ?
A single pair of struts would likely be too flimsy. You'd likely need to install diagonal kicker braces to the back, or off to the sides of the panelboard, and anchor their baseplate.

Another solution is to use RMC conduits as your posts, and U-bolts to support the horizontal struts. This will reduce the area available for water to concentrate at the concrete embedment, and it will give you the ability to have member sizes larger than the standard strut profiles. Make sure everything is either hot dip galvanized or stainless, as opposed to zinc plated, for best corrosion resistance.

norcal

I used 2" galvanized pipe set in concrete, drilled & tapped the pipe to support 3 pieces of shallow strut, two to support the panel & one to strap the conduits on the bottom.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Pay attention to preventing corrosion where the metal (of whatever sort) comes out of the concrete. You will have water and pool chemicals, and the transition from concrete to air seems to focus corrosive effects.

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here is what I used, it's called a post base.
View attachment 2572327
Going this route ensures that you can keep this thing plumb as well. No matter how straight I leave something (pipe, strut, whatever) by the time I come back after the concrete is poured it’s crooked. PVC you can heat gun and fix for the most part. But crooked strut in concrete is there to stay.

Crash117

Occupation
C-2 electrical contractor/owner operator
Your best bet is to set 2 1 5/8 strict pieces in concrete at a panel depth apart. Then once it’s set, cut 2 pieces of strut at a length that when put a 45 degree angle they hit right against the back of the panel and the other end hits your concrete pad. Use strut 45degree angle brackets to secure to back of vertical strut and the concrete behind the panel. The 2 verticals will support each from moving side to side and the 45 degree angle supports front to back movement. I’ve built many supports like this that have lasted a long time under tough conditions. I’ll try to find a picture

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is this a residence? I’m surprised they shot down 4x4s. I’ve only done a few pools but the equipment was either mounted to some nice 2x6’s mounted across 4x4s or it was all mounted to a section of nice looking fence, with the business end facing away from the pool.