Freelancing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACHAIGORO

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello,

I want to start a side hustle utilizing my electrical engineering/drafting design skillset. I am proficient in my overall electrical engineering skill set as of now and I know there will so much more to learn throughout my entire career but I do want to start now with outsourcing my electrical engineering AutoCAD and Revit design capabilities to companies, individuals, counties, etc. whomever needs electrical engineering/drafting design as a side hustle, something I can do on the side and earn more experience. How would get started, I don't know where to begin.

Thank you !

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Hello,

I want to start a side hustle utilizing my electrical engineering/drafting design skillset. I am proficient in my overall electrical engineering skill set as of now and I know there will so much more to learn throughout my entire career but I do want to start now with outsourcing my electrical engineering AutoCAD and Revit design capabilities to companies, individuals, counties, etc. whomever needs electrical engineering/drafting design as a side hustle, something I can do on the side and earn more experience. How would get started, I don't know where to begin.

Thank you !
Significant other
Lawyer
Accountant

or some semblance of that order.
Get the business end of it down, then focus on procuring work.

Johnhall30

Occupation
Engineer
Nice. I work for a large MEP firm and would like to do the same.

Find out when your local building department requires commercial jobs to be stamped by an electrical PE and try to develop some relationships with contractors who may need to call you in the future if they need an engineer to sign off on one of their jobs.

Also you could find another independent mechanical PE who wants to team up with an independent electrical engineer to provide the full services for an architect.

ACHAIGORO

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Nice. I work for a large MEP firm and would like to do the same.

Find out when your local building department requires commercial jobs to be stamped by an electrical PE and try to develop some relationships with contractors who may need to call you in the future if they need an engineer to sign off on one of their jobs.

Also you could find another independent mechanical PE who wants to team up with an independent electrical engineer to provide the full services for an architect.
I will start with this! I think networking is a key factor in helping me/you/us; start what we want to do, along with a PE license aswell. Thank you for the feedback.

ACHAIGORO

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Is most of your experience in commercial construction design, or another industry?
Previously worked in a private sector, that was primarily big pharmaceutical buildings design with some data center design here-and-there. Currently my experience is primarily commercial, residential, hospitals, manufacturing (warehouses), etc. alittle bit of everything except for pharmaceutical buildings, substations, power plants or anything related to the three.

ron

Back when I did that kind of thing, I found out one of my colleagues had been fired for using company resources to do side hustle stuff, so check with your employer if you can use your work provided AutoCAD and Revit for side work.
Even though I was just a baby EIT at the time (now called FE), I went to my local NSPE monthly continuing education programs and networked with the small firms there and spread the word that I was available for overflow CAD work and got connected that way.

ACHAIGORO

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Back when I did that kind of thing, I found out one of my colleagues had been fired for using company resources to do side hustle stuff, so check with your employer if you can use your work provided AutoCAD and Revit for side work.
Even though I was just a baby EIT at the time (now called FE), I went to my local NSPE monthly continuing education programs and networked with the small firms there and spread the word that I was available for overflow CAD work and got connected that way.
hmmmmm... I will check with my employer. I will look into the next NSPE conference to get started and grow my network. Thank you !

David Castor

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most engineering companies very specifically do not allow a "side hustle" that involves engineering due to the massive potential liabilities. They also almost certainly would not allow use of their resources, such as software to enable you to do this. Just make sure you understand the risks.

JoeStillman

If you really want to work independently, a PE license is key. Your engineering plans won't be much use to your clients who need a building permit if you can't seal them. You're going to need a PE you can depend on to seal them if that's going to be your client base. And in NJ, that means crimping each paper drawing - no PDF seals unless you are submitting to DCA.

The PE exam requires 4-years' experience before you can take it. Some states require you to have your EIT certificate before that clock starts ticking. I know it's that way here in PA. The EIT is a bigger stumbling block for people who graduated a long time ago. A review class can really help. I took the EIT as a graduating senior and was still in night school. Test-taking was something I did all the time, so I passed that on the first try. But I needed the review class before I could pass the PE. I flunked on the first try without the review.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
No, I am not a PE yet.
took the FE yet?

Getting the PE license is first for any type of side hustle..

Also, as stated above, check with your company policies. Doing too much you may find yourself without steady employment.

Our company pays for our CEU’s and would frown (make you stop or fired) on Engineers with a side hustle designing other systems.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
took the FE yet?

Getting the PE license is first for any type of side hustle..

Also, as stated above, check with your company policies. Doing too much you may find yourself without steady employment.

Our company pays for our CEU’s and would frown (make you stop or fired) on Engineers with a side hustle designing other systems.
I think the absolute bright line ethical and practical line that cannot be crossed is doing anything that competes directly in any way with your employer's business. The grey area is where that line falls when the scale or application area are different, but closely related.
Another bright line involves involving the reputation of your day employer in any way.
A fuzzier line involves using contacts you make through your day job.

Status
Not open for further replies.