Freezer in Garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hello,

Is it okay to recommend putting a freezer circuit in a residential garage now that they have to be GFCI protected? Do GFCI's trip as much as they use to?

Thank you,
Jim

I have a refrigerator in my basement for 4 or 5 years that is on a GFCI-- it hasn't failed yet. If it fails usually that means there is a problem with the appliance.

480sparky

'Recommendations' are kind of trumped by the NEC. If The Good Book says it's gotta have GFCI protection, it's gotta have GFCI protection.

Your only way around this is if you're on the 2005 or earlier.

gar

Occupation
EE
100823-2236 EST

My question is will the freezer operate at low ambient temperatures?

My freezers work great in the garage, they are old. Checking on some new freezer specs I found a somewhat flaky statement on one unit that it would function below 32 deg F. But how far below?

What is the theoretical reason that at least some new refrigerators do not cool at low ambient temperatures? I do not know the threshold point but I believe it may be above 32.

480sparky

...............My freezers work great in the garage, they are old. Checking on some new freezer specs I found a somewhat flaky statement on one unit that it would function below 32 deg F. But how far below?..............

Uuuuuuuuuh, once it gets down below 32?F, does the freezer, like, really need to function?

hurk27

with an AC unit out in the cold the condenser coil removes so much heat that the freon returns back inside cold and cant expand across the capillaries as well, flooding the evaporator coil, this flooding can cause liquid freon to be returned back to the compressor, (called slugging) which can damage the compressor, freezers and fridges use a higher rate of forced expansion like a car does (why also they use the same freon), so this is not a problem, remember cars use the AC to defog the windows even in the winter and they will still run at very cold temps, but not as efficient.

Last edited:

hurk27

R12 in fridges?

I don't think so.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6008061_types-refrigerant-freezers.html

You are thinking of R22.

In it's hey day freon 12 was one of the most widely used Refrigerants there was, but was band in 1994 as part of the Montreal_Protocol in which after we saw a few manufactures dabble with R-22, but for the most part R-134A started to gain a more dominate part of the refrigerator/freezer market, but now it's being phased out.
I have two older freezers that are R-12, and a older refrigerator that is R-12, my newer one is R-134A, but I have seen a few R-22 ones

Refrigerant R12 or Freon 12
Refrigerant R12 or Freon 12 is said to be the most widely used of all the refrigerants being used for different applications. The chemical name of refrigerant R12 is dichlorodifluoromethane and its chemical formula is CCl2F2. The molecular weight of R12 is 120.9 and its boiling point is -21.6 degree F. Since R12 has the molecules of chlorine and fluorine, it is called as chlorofluorocarbon (CFC).

R-12 is a highly versatile refrigerant that is used for wide range of refrigeration and air conditioning applications though in many air conditioning applications it is now replaced by R22 refrigerant. Refrigerant R12 is used in domestic refrigerators and freezers, liquid chillers, dehumidifiers, ice makers, water coolers, water fountains and transport refrigeration. The wide range of applications of the refrigerant are due to its safe properties.

jghrist

A possible problem may be that the refrigerator thermostat also controls the freezer. If it is cold in the garage, the thermostat may not get warm enough to run the refrigerator and the freezer won't run either.

I have a refrigerator in my garage and have never had this problem, but the garage probably never gets cold enough to be a problem.

kwired

Electron manager
with an AC unit out in the cold the condenser coil removes so much heat that the freon returns back inside cold and cant expand across the capillaries as well, flooding the evaporator coil, this flooding can cause liquid freon to be returned back to the compressor, (called slugging) which can damage the compressor, freezers and fridges use a higher rate of forced expansion like a car does (why also they use the same freon), so this is not a problem, remember cars use the AC to defog the windows even in the winter and they will still run at very cold temps, but not as efficient.

Ac units designed for use in cold weather usually have the condenser fan controlled by a thermostat to help with this type of problem. Another problem with any refrigerant compressor in cold conditions is lubrication - there is oil in the system and it does not flow well at all when cold. Systems intended for use in cold conditions also have crankcase heaters installed in them. Usually a heat tape wrapped around the compressor housing.

hurk27

A possible problem may be that the refrigerator thermostat also controls the freezer. If it is cold in the garage, the thermostat may not get warm enough to run the refrigerator and the freezer won't run either.

I have a refrigerator in my garage and have never had this problem, but the garage probably never gets cold enough to be a problem.

that would be true on a dual thermostat unit, but most single thermostat ones I've seen the thermostat controls the freezer and a air flow damper controls the refrigerator temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.