Frozen tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

33% Glass-filled Nylon typically has very good cold weather impact resistance. This material is also very expensive and increases wear on the molding tooling.

However, many of these tools on the market have ABS, Polycarbonate (PC) or other variations of PVC that may have cold temperature impact limitations.

Well not if you have steel molds there kinda good for 1 million after one million you can buy another mold .

Now if you have a aluminum mold it may just give you 10,000 punches but nylon /fiber is just a little hotter on injection process and cost wise and you have a longer drying process before injection .

But i do agree if they use nylon the product will last forever hot or cold.

The cost of material or the injection mold is well worth the effort to have the best product on the market but thats just my thoughts if your going to put you name on it build it the best way you can companys today have a different view of quality more so to sales and resale the dollar rule than solid philosophy of excellence but i think thats what small business do at first but when they get global they forget about that .

Now iam old fashion but i still look for MADE IN USA even if i paymore for it and there hard to find these days !

Last edited:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I had a Skil 12 v several years ago. It was a good drill, got a few cracks but usable. Lasted about 2 years. A tool place worked on it twice, I got about another month out of it. My DeWalt was good, got about 3 years out of it, but the plastic chuck went bad quickly. DeWalt Service Center replaced with metal chuck under warranty, no charge. I had a B/D Firestorm (no jokes now) that lasted 2 years, still works but chuck is totally jammed, can only use philips bit that's in it. Bought a similar B/D, it won't hold a charge. Just bought an 18v Porter Cable that I like pretty well. Don't think I've dropped any 6 ft, but have had lots of shorter falls with no problems; of course I'm not usually in severe winter weather. Central NC, we usually have relatively mild winters. This year is an exception. I'm not sure any drill is worth several hundred bucks, considering how easy it is to get stolen or damaged in some way. Repairs are usually high and no always reliable.

I will not buy Craftsman drills any more. I had 2, a 14.4 and an 18. I had a replace a battery on the 14 and it would not fit my charger. Would fit the drill. Had to go through several people at Sears to get someone who understood, and they couldn't help. They did take the battery back. Sears changes their stuff too often. I buy very little of anything from them now.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I had a Ideal Fishtape shatter into a hundred two foot sections when I started to pull it out to fish some wire. It was about -10 the night before.
It was a 200' footer. now I have lots of short pieces. :mad:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Sounds like Milwaukee should upgrade to schedule 80.......but seriously, I'll bet if that drill was returned with an explaination, Milwaukee would replace it for free. I've had very good results dealing with Milwaukee on warranty issues and I've been a user for years. Nothing is perfect but a happy customer is the best form of advertising.

LJSMITH1

Well not if you have steel molds there kinda good for 1 million after one million you can buy another mold .

Now if you have a aluminum mold it may just give you 10,000 punches but nylon /fiber is just a little hotter on injection process and cost wise and you have a longer drying process before injection .

But i do agree if they use nylon the product will last forever hot or cold.

The cost of material or the injection mold is well worth the effort to have the best product on the market but thats just my thoughts if your going to put you name on it build it the best way you can companys today have a different view of quality more so to sales and resale the dollar rule than solid philosophy of excellence but i think thats what small business do at first but when they get global they forget about that .

Now iam old fashion but i still look for MADE IN USA even if i paymore for it and there hard to find these days !

Actually, when I worked for a electrical connector company, we used 33%GF Nylon 6/6 and 6/12 on quite a few components. We also used GF Diallyl Phthalate DAP (phenolic) for some other components. We used hardened D2 Steel molds as well as H13 steel. The injection gates in these steel molds would wear out significantly faster than with any other non-GF plastic. The only fix would be to weld up the gates and reshape them back to spec. We never used aluminum molds because our output was so high. They are low to mid production level molds.

The hardest material on our molds was the mineral-filled DAP. It was so abrasive that it was like trying to injection mold sand.:cool:

Unfortunately, todays markets are driving down the prices constantly, so if a manufacturer has to save $2.00 in material, they will, in order to remain competitive.:cool::roll:

ohmhead

Actually, when I worked for a electrical connector company, we used 33%GF Nylon 6/6 and 6/12 on quite a few components. We also used GF Diallyl Phthalate DAP (phenolic) for some other components. We used hardened D2 Steel molds as well as H13 steel. The injection gates in these steel molds would wear out significantly faster than with any other non-GF plastic. The only fix would be to weld up the gates and reshape them back to spec. We never used aluminum molds because our output was so high. They are low to mid production level molds.

The hardest material on our molds was the mineral-filled DAP. It was so abrasive that it was like trying to injection mold sand.:cool:

Unfortunately, todays markets are driving down the prices constantly, so if a manufacturer has to save $2.00 in material, they will, in order to remain competitive.:cool::roll:

Well heres one post i agree with you LJSMITH just had to do that i could not resist .

We only manufacture low production numbers each year but high quality parts for our special electrical tools and there is no competitive pressure no one makes our tools but us and only large electrical contractors need our tools so we dont need to worry about what we use .

This was a hobbie and now its a second job design & manufacture test & sell & package ship and all the headackes that go along .

I know what you are saying LJ its all new to me and iam a independent owner design engineering shop product assembler test & pack & ship and all sales and i still work as a full time electrician each day in the field .

But i just might go fishing next year for good or maybe when the molds break! Take care be safe

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.