FSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Do you consider a FSD(fire smoke damper) a mechanical device or a fire alarm device? I heard a GC claiming the power was by the EC and a document does state all power to FA devices is by EC but these device are not on the power or FA drawings and neither are the j-boxes ..nothing. Just curious.

pete m.

Do you consider a FSD(fire smoke damper) a mechanical device or a fire alarm device? I heard a GC claiming the power was by the EC and a document does state all power to FA devices is by EC but these device are not on the power or FA drawings and neither are the j-boxes ..nothing. Just curious.

It may be controlled through activation of a fire alarm device such as a smoke detector but IMHO I would call it a mechanical device. How is it listed?

Pete

kwired

Electron manager
They are not part of the fire alarm. An auxilary control device that is part of the fire alarm controls them but that is the only relationship to the fire alarm.

The mechanical prints probably have them, someone made a mistake not showing them on electrical prints.

kwired

Electron manager
Suggest to have these dampers control the HVAC unit through aux contacts on the dampers, if they are closed the HVAC should not run.

Had one of these fail to open once and furnace was not wired through aux contact, furnace kept cycling on high limit because there was no air flow with the damper closed. Rooms heated by the furnace were cold, mechanical room was very hot from the cycling furnace that had no place to dump its heat.

Strife

It actually can be both.
You can have a 120V FSD with a FA relay, or you can have them from a limited power circuit straight from the FA. The advantage of the latter over the first is that you can control 10 or so directly from the power limited circuit from the FA panel, instead of having to run 120V and install an FA relay at each location. Gets expensive on the second part.

They are not part of the fire alarm. An auxilary control device that is part of the fire alarm controls them but that is the only relationship to the fire alarm.

The mechanical prints probably have them, someone made a mistake not showing them on electrical prints.

kwired

Electron manager
It actually can be both.
You can have a 120V FSD with a FA relay, or you can have them from a limited power circuit straight from the FA. The advantage of the latter over the first is that you can control 10 or so directly from the power limited circuit from the FA panel, instead of having to run 120V and install an FA relay at each location. Gets expensive on the second part.

Are you supposed to put a FA relay at each one if 120 volts? I have never done that. Always ran 120 volt circuit to all of them with one FA relay controlling the entire circuit. Pretty sure nothing in NEC addresses this. Don't know about other codes.

All the ones I have installed are powered open and spring return closed if power is lost.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It actually can be both.

I think I know what your talking about. Is that the case when you have the modules or relay in a closet and run power to them and then from the closet you run your control/fire alarm cable? THanks

Status
Not open for further replies.