fuel pump room classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

rzlzb5107

There is a fuel pump supplying diesel fuel from storage tank located outside to emergency generators (hospital). The pump is located in a separate room inside the building. Is there any requirement for hazardous classification of this room (Class I Div. 2?)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
There is a fuel pump supplying diesel fuel from storage tank located outside to emergency generators (hospital). The pump is located in a separate room inside the building. Is there any requirement for hazardous classification of this room (Class I Div. 2?)
I’m surprised someone else hasn’t already jumped on this one. As such materials are designated by NFPA 30, the Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code, diesel is combustible rather than flammable. That means it has a flash point above 100?F and, unless you have reason to believe it will be routinely stored or handled at or above its flash-point, it may be ignored as a potential cause for Classifying a location. Note: routinely doesn't necessarily mean commonly or regularly, but simply that it wouldn't be an unusual event.

Generally, diesel has a flash point around 125?F or higher. Occasionally, it may be in a blend of fuels that has flammable properties; so it is still a good idea to review the Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) for the fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.