Fuel Tank Stored in Bus Garage - Classification

elecshop

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an open bay bus garage - roofed ceiling / sloped structure, and toward the end of the bay there is a fuel tank and oil tank. No walls are in the bays, only roofed and attached to an adjacent office building. The building does contain parts storage rooms, but is not a repair garage.
Looking at NEC 511.3, I could not find information that helps identify the Class and Division of the space. I know that the tanks are Class I Division 2, but how far does this zone extend? Looking at table 511.3(C): if the area is ventilated it would be unclassified.
Can someone help in clarifying my confusion?

Thanks!

elecshop

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Fuel is diesel. Also this building is classified as S1 type occupancy - minor repair garage, with no fuel dispensing. But these two tanks are being relocated from a different place to this new building.
The fuel tank is underneath a structure, at finished floor level (not underground) but there are no walls enclosing the space where it is located - it is an open bay. Would this classify it as Class I Div 2?

JoeStillman

Depending on the amount of diesel, you may require four-hour fire rating for the room. I've seen it done with concrete vault-tanks too. But Tom is right, it's not a Class I space.