Full Load Current Of Industrial Control Panel

crispy_copper

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
How is the full load current determined for the purposes of marking per NEC 409.110(2)?

I understand when sizing the conductors for a panel that controls several motors 430.24 requires a 125% factor for the largest motor FLC and other continuous non-motor loads. For the purposes of the panel full load current though, is this calculated by only using 100% of the FLC for all of the motors and other load currents, or are there multipliers that must also be applied?

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Also on an MCC if you have a 2000 amp MCC you have to feed with cable of that ampacity. As you know people always add to the extra buckets.

dm9289

Occupation
Not true. There is no requirement in the code to include any provision for any future changes.
What I’m assuming is your over 800amp no next size up and if the factory assembly has a 2000 amp breaker your feeder must be able to handle a 2000amp load.
Perhaps I read too much into the question

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What I’m assuming is your over 800amp no next size up and if the factory assembly has a 2000 amp breaker your feeder must be able to handle a 2000amp load.
Perhaps I read too much into the question
The feeder conductors have to be protected at their ampacity which is unrelated to main breaker rating. Just like you could feed a 200 Amp main cb panel with 100 amp conductors from a 100 amp cb

dm9289

Occupation
The feeder conductors have to be protected at their ampacity which is unrelated to main breaker rating. Just like you could feed a 200 Amp main cb panel with 100 amp conductors from a 100 amp cb
I see what your saying I guess selective coordination is more of a preference concept not a code concept.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yep, true. Happens all the time. I’m quoting one right now with 600A bus and a 600A main CB being fed from a 400A feeder in the switchgear. The 600A main in the MCC is basically just a switch now as it will never trip.