Fun with Dual Function Breakers, GE

Status
Not open for further replies.

DamonV

Occupation
Solar Installer
Ok, I have a situation here. I have (4) Dual function breakers that are continually tripping ( 20A GE ). The most interesting part is that one of them is tripping when it is in the panel, but with nothing else connected. I put a meter in series between the N pigtail and the N bus to see what was up and read as much as 0.4A when it is tripping. If someone can explain how this is possible, without the breaker being bad, I would love to hear it. I did replace the breaker w/ another one and it does the exact same thing.....I'm thinking it has to be the breaker, but I'm not sure how many I have to buy to get a good one......

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

Are you saying that the breakers are tripping with no wires attached to their load terminals?

If so, that can only be defective breakers, weirdness on the incoming power, or strong RF nearby.

DamonV

Occupation
Solar Installer
Yes, nothing attached to the load terminal. I can only assume then that I have some insulation short inside the breaker that is intermittent. I can't think of what else would cause the 0.4A I am reading when it trips.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The most interesting part is that one of them is tripping when it is in the panel, but with nothing else connected. I put a meter in series between the N pigtail and the N bus to see what was up and read as much as 0.4A when it is tripping.
Yes, nothing attached to the load terminal. I can only assume then that I have some insulation short inside the breaker that is intermittent. I can't think of what else would cause the 0.4A I am reading when it trips.

An internal SCR will fire and drive a solenoid coil to trip the mechanical breaker mechanism. That will draw a pulse of current through the neutral pigtail. But that current should only be present for a short time.

DamonV

Occupation
Solar Installer
An internal SCR will fire and drive a solenoid coil to trip the mechanical breaker mechanism. That will draw a pulse of current through the neutral pigtail. But that current should only be present for a short time.
So you are saying the current I am seeing is the result and not the cause?

synchro

Occupation
EE
So you are saying the current I am seeing is the result and not the cause?
I'm saying that this could be the case, because the breaker's solenoid coil takes current to activate it. But like I said this current would not last very long. Can you give more detail about what meter and what settings you are using? For example, are you setting it to min/max?

DamonV

Occupation
Solar Installer
Fluke 117, yes min/max on max. had to do that so I could see it. So it is a quick burst. Still what could be causing the solenoid to fire?

DamonV

Occupation
Solar Installer
I'm saying that this could be the case, because the breaker's solenoid coil takes current to activate it. But like I said this current would not last very long. Can you give more detail about what meter and what settings you are using? For example, are you setting it to min/max?
Fluke 117, yes min/max on max. had to do that so I could see it. So it is a quick burst. Still what could be causing the solenoid to fire?

Slowmo079

Occupation
Electrician
Confirmed by Art at GE - the the 20amp DF GE Breakers are garbage - avoid installing them, they will nusciance trip and show a fault code for an arc fault. GE knows this and they claim to have a new one designed but cannot get the chips made to build them.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Confirmed by Art at GE - the the 20amp DF GE Breakers are garbage - avoid installing them, they will nusciance trip and show a fault code for an arc fault. GE knows this and they claim to have a new one designed but cannot get the chips made to build them.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: So what do you do, tell the inspector that Art said it was ok to install regular breakers?

-Hal

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: So what do you do, tell the inspector that Art said it was ok to install regular breakers?

-Hal
Inspector may want written statement from GE to that effect. Might hold up certificate from being issued until proper installation can be completed, but might let a temporary or limited authorization be given.
Side note, one more reason to not like GE.

Status
Not open for further replies.