Furnace Disconnect if there are internal breakers???

Apprenti

Occupation
Apprentice
I'm sorry if this question has been answered 100 times over, but I've gone too far down the rabbit hole and am drowning in info. I can't seem to find the straight answer I want.

Single family dwelling. The furnace is in the garage, being fed by a meter main outside, opposite end of the house. Standard dwelling furnace.

My question, do the readily accessible breakers on the furnace count as a disconnect?

The breaker feeding the furnace in the meter main shouldn't need a lock if there are readily accessible breakers on the furnace?

Thank you!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I recall something about units installed in basements requiring a cutoff switch at the head of the stairs. It might be a NJ thing.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I recall something about units installed in basements requiring a cutoff switch at the head of the stairs. It might be a NJ thing.
Switches outside the furnace/boiler room are required on commercial equipment for gas and oil equipment. Not only outside the room but at EVERY entrance to the room. This is an ASME requirement for boilers. Not always enforced.

As far as residential goes they are required in many states for oil. I have never heard of them required for gas (which makes no sense) but it is more of a local requirement I believe. MA requires them outside the basement or furnace room for oil. CT for instance would allow them inside the stairwell. In MA they have to be in an accessible visible location. (people used to hide them in closets)

I once had a service call on an oil boiler and had no power at the boiler. Figured out it was the ES switch. Traced the cable and had trouble finding the switch. Finally found it in the closet. Someone had moved some clothes and hit the switch inadvertently

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ahhh! That's why my last house had one. I'm trying to remember if my parent's house has one at the top of the stairs; they have gas heat.
Yeah gas heat doesn't require one although they did several decades ago. My current home built in 1997 with natural gas never had one at the top of the stairs.