furnace disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciscokid

In a single family, one floor dwelling, the gas fired hot air furnace is located in the attic area accessible only by a scuttle opening in the ceiling in the laundry room. What would be the proper location for the "Emergency Disconnect Switch"?

peter d

Re: furnace disconnect

Originally posted by ryan_618:
I have heard that this is a local requirement in some ares, such as Massachusettes.
Actually, the requirement is for oil burners only and of course the rules are local because of the prevalence of oil heat in New England and New York. :) Can you even buy an oil fired furnace or boiler in other parts of the country?

physis

What's an oil fired furnace?
icon10.gif

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by peter d:
Actually, the requirement is for oil burners only and of course the rules are local because of the prevalence of oil heat in New England and New York. :) Can you even buy an oil fired furnace or boiler in other parts of the country?
oil burners only, we have them in MD. you need a service disconnect switch at the unit don't forget.

At the unit preferably although code might be within sight, but if you ever have to prime one you'll always put it at the unit in the future.

Although I guess you could use the thermostat wire as a disconnect..lol and take it off the primary control....put it at the unit. And bring a can of odor out.

You guys won't like that oil on your klien tools

allenwayne

An oil fired furnance/boiler would still need a disconnect within 50 ft/ line of sight.Unless HVAC requires one within 6 ft of the unit as I have seen and was told we have to set a standard between trades ;)

ciscokid

Could Article 430-107 apply here?
It states that "a motor circuit is required to be "readily accessible", must be reached without climbing over anything...and without requiring the use of portable ladders".
The disconnect for the furnace is located next to the furnace, in the attic, that is accessible through a scuttle opening (21" X 28")in the ceiling of the laundry room, requiring the use of a 10 foot straight ladder (the ceiling height is 9 feet) which must be maneuvered into place. Not what I would call "readily accessible" especially in case of an emergency.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

430.107 Readily Accessible. At least one of the disconnecting means shall be readily accessible.

Certainly the CB back at the PB qualifies as a disconnecting means. It certainly also qualifies as readily accessible.

iwire

Staff member

Ryan I think I know where Mike is going.

I have never thought of steam supplied or gas and oil fired heaters to be Fixed Electric Space-Heating Equipment.

Think again to UL categories.

[ September 08, 2005, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

Status
Not open for further replies.