Furnace flexible cord connected (plug & receptacle)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I have a GC that wants a furnace to be cord and plug connected to facilitate using a generator when there’s a power outage.

I told him furnaces aren’t allowed to be connected with flexible cord. He said that’s crazy...

I know 400.10A8 talks about fastened in place appliances “specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair “

is there anything more more specific than this statement to relay to GC about not using flexible cord for a furnace?

i just want to have more ammunition than this to debate (argue) with the GC.

Anyone else use flexible cord cord for furnaces?

I also know 422.16A says about the same thing.

Nothing specifically calls out furnaces and water heaters.

sw_ross

Interesting solution. Thanks

I could propose this option and then try to upsell them to a more inclusive 6 circuit transfer switch to cover additional circuits like freezer/fridge, sump pump, etc

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Interesting solution. Thanks

I could propose this option and then try to upsell them to a more inclusive 6 circuit transfer switch torlock kit iscover additional circuits like freezer/fridge, sump pump, etc
Don't stop there: a whole-panel interlock allows whole-house power (within the genny limits, of course) and can be more profitable.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Tell him to find a unit that comes with a factory installed cord and plug then you'll install the receptacle.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I think that this is one of those debatable things that really depends on how the AHJ responds. Rather than arguing with the GC you can agree with them that it is probably ok to just do it...but then upsell the transfer switch connection as having lots of benefits that they can pass on to their customer.

1) no argument with the inspector
2) can place the inlet outside the house without running extension cords all over the place
3) looks more professional/ happier customer

-Jon

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
There was a similar discussion once upon a time about using a DPDT switch to select GEN or LINE as the power source for your furnace. I don't recall what was decided about the grounding, etc.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a GC that wants a furnace to be cord and plug connected to facilitate using a generator when there’s a power outage.

I told him furnaces aren’t allowed to be connected with flexible cord. He said that’s crazy...

I know 400.10A8 talks about fastened in place appliances “specifically designed to permit ready removal for maintenance and repair “

is there anything more more specific than this statement to relay to GC about not using flexible cord for a furnace?

i just want to have more ammunition than this to debate (argue) with the GC.

Anyone else use flexible cord cord for furnaces?

I also know 422.16A says about the same thing.

Nothing specifically calls out furnaces and water heaters.

I note you are from North Dakota. This is allowed under ND amendment to the NEC:

24.1-06-04-22. (NEC 422) Appliances.

1. Exception: 2017 edition, National Electrical Code, Article 422.16: The use of not more than 6 feet of flexible appliance cord shall be permitted on permanently installed 120 volt 20 amp or less fuel fired furnaces in residential dwellings. The receptacle for this appliance shall be GFCI protected, or a single receptacle, with a lockable in-use cover, and the cord shall meet all requirements of NEC 422.16.

sw_ross

I note you are from North Dakota. This is allowed under ND amendment to the NEC:

1. Exception: 2017 edition, National Electrical Code, Article 422.16: The use of not more than 6 feet of flexible appliance cord shall be permitted on permanently installed 120 volt 20 amp or less fuel fired furnaces in residential dwellings. The receptacle for this appliance shall be GFCI protected, or a single receptacle, with a lockable in-use cover, and the cord shall meet all requirements of NEC 422.16.

Dang!! I didn't think to look through our amendment book about that topic!
I appreciate the education!

kwired

Electron manager

I don't understand the reasoning at all for the lockable cover on the receptacle? That locks out use of the receptacle, but does not lock out ability to energize the appliance via another receptacle and/or extension cord which is what such locking is ordinarily intended to be for.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Wouldn't the appliance still be required to be listed for cord and plug connection?

texie

Occupation
Wouldn't the appliance still be required to be listed for cord and plug connection?

Yes, strictly speaking, I believe it would. But the ND electrical folks chose to override this. But let's be candid. Is this really a danger in any way if it is a proper appliance cord?

texie

Occupation
I don't understand the reasoning at all for the lockable cover on the receptacle? That locks out use of the receptacle, but does not lock out ability to energize the appliance via another receptacle and/or extension cord which is what such locking is ordinarily intended to be for.

My guess on the lockable cover requirement is to prevent the furnace from inadvertently being disconnected.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I don't understand the lockable cover or the GFI protected single outlet.

It's almost as if they want the added GFI protection "because" they're allowing the use of the cord to connect it.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.