fuse reducers - 45A in 200A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

I'm the engineer on a small renovation project (tenant fit out) with a very tight budget. The only significant spares in the project are 200A switches - three of them. The only real electrical load beind added is an elevator that needs fed from a 45A fuse. Ideally we would feed a 200A panel from the switch and fill it with 60A & 30A switches, solves a lot of problems for everyone later on. But project is almost ready to begin, budget is VERY tight, and right now new gear isn't in it.

Do they even make reducers that allow you to go down two sizes? It doesn't seem safe to me. If it is allowed (& safe of course) I would come up with some kind of succinct note to future engineer to post on the switchboard - like a "if board is full, provide new 200A panel and move elevator to it" type note.

Thoughts?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
as much as I hate to tell you, they do manufacturer them (depending on your fuse class)
(Bussmann 226-R for FRN, 626-R for FRS, I believe)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
as much as I hate to tell you

Why?

I don't really see a big deal fusing down a disconnect two fuse sizes. Who cares if they can put 200 amp fuses in it later on? That's not his deal. It's not any different then putting 125 amp fuses in a feeder disconnect, which can be changed to 200 just as easily.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
every time I have ever used them my opinion has been that they don't make a good connection. Purely a personal opinion... the are listed and legal, I just don't care for them.

chevyx92

I'm the engineer on a small renovation project (tenant fit out) with a very tight budget. The only significant spares in the project are 200A switches - three of them. The only real electrical load beind added is an elevator that needs fed from a 45A fuse. Ideally we would feed a 200A panel from the switch and fill it with 60A & 30A switches, solves a lot of problems for everyone later on. But project is almost ready to begin, budget is VERY tight, and right now new gear isn't in it.

Do they even make reducers that allow you to go down two sizes? It doesn't seem safe to me. If it is allowed (& safe of course) I would come up with some kind of succinct note to future engineer to post on the switchboard - like a "if board is full, provide new 200A panel and move elevator to it" type note.

Thoughts?

Wow, I'm surprised you would even design this leaving all that power on the table. Not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.