Fused 15KV Metal Enclosed Switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

smithm

Where did the IEEE Standard C37.20.7 originate from? I heard it was a Europe standard adopted by US? Since the project requires fused disconnects rather than breakers, can IEEE C37.20.7 apply? I heard that it only applies to breakers and not fused disconnects within the gear? This is coming from a military project where we are required to "buy american only". Any suggestions?

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
NEMA held the rights to the original ANSI C37 Standard. Around 2002? NEMA transferred the publication rights to IEEE for most of the the C37 parts, except for 6 of them that had large implications on manufacturer's.

For a while they were ANSI/IEEE, probably to transition, but now they are just IEEE.

smithm

15KV switchgear

15KV switchgear

Kingpb, Ok that answers that question, but can a manufacture comply with IEEE C37.20.7 type one, if the specifications are to use metal enclosure with fuses, not circuit breakers. Also, if this matters, they are asking to add to existing switchgear which doesn't meet that specification since the switchgear was installed back in 2005?

WastefulMiser

Kingpb, Ok that answers that question, but can a manufacture comply with IEEE C37.20.7 type one, if the specifications are to use metal enclosure with fuses, not circuit breakers. Also, if this matters, they are asking to add to existing switchgear which doesn't meet that specification since the switchgear was installed back in 2005?

I found this to be helpful -- mayhap it will help you.

http://powellind.com/main/Uploadpdf...r metal-enclosed switchgear - which is it.pdf

skeshesh

I'm not at the office and don't have access to the referrence, but as a first thought, why not contact the "american" manufacturer you have and ask them about their ratings and such? They should be able to provide a quick answer and proper documentation.

WastefulMiser

Where did the IEEE Standard C37.20.7originate from? I heard it was a Europe standard adopted by US? Since the project requires fused disconnects rather than breakers, can IEEE C37.20.7 apply? I heard that it only applies to breakers and not fused disconnects within the gear? This is coming from a military project where we are required to "buy american only". Any suggestions?

I thought you were inquiring about LBS's.

C37.20.7 is for internal arcing faults. It is my understanding that it originated from a Canadian standard: EEMAC G14-1.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Looks like it was derived from IEC:

The development of this guide rests heavily on Annex AA of IEC 298-1981a1and Amendment 1: 1994. This revision is harmonized with the IEC and incorporates many of the refinements made to the original IEC 298, as contained in the current IEC 62271-200 edition.

Overview:

This guide establishes methods by which metal-enclosed switchgear, as defined by IEEE Std C37.20.1TM-2002,1 IEEE Std C37.20.2TM-1999, and IEEE Std C37.20.3TM-2001, may be tested for resistance to the
effects of arcing due to an internal fault. This guide applies only to equipment utilizing air as the primary insulating medium and rated up to 38 kV ac. It applies to both indoor and outdoor equipment; however,
special consideration must be given to the building size and construction for indoor applications (notaddressed by this document).
The tests and assessments described in this guide are only applicable to arcing faults occurring entirely in air within the enclosure when all doors and covers are properly secured. This guide does not apply to arcing
faults that occur within components of the switchgear assembly, such as instrument transformers, sealed interrupting devices, fuses, and so on.
Switchgear designs that meet the requirements of this guide will be referred to as arc-resistant, metalenclosed low-voltage ac power circuit breaker switchgear, arc-resistant metal-enclosed interrupter switchgear, or arc-resistant metal-clad switchgear as applicable, or generally, as arc-resistant switchgear.

Looks like this guide is what is used to get the arc-resistant rating/classification.

Status
Not open for further replies.