Fused disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have fused disconnect as the final overcurrent protection and has multi wire branch circuit.

Would handle tie be necessary for fused disconnect? How would this work with fuses? Anyone have any input

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Why are you using a fused disconnect for branch circuit protection?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sounds more like a troll question :)
but, IMO, a two pole disconnect would meet the requirements of 210.4(B).
If this relates to your earlier question with two neutrals, you do not have a MWBC.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Besides my first question here's another question for the OP, what two pole fused disconnect (safety switch) does not open both legs at the same time?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Sounds more like a troll question :)
but, IMO, a two pole disconnect would meet the requirements of 210.4(B).
If this relates to your earlier question with two neutrals, you do not have a MWBC.

Sorry its not troll. I am just confused disconnect manually in fused disconnect would disconnect it but the fuse if one of them blows then other phase fuse does not then it would not be simultaneously disconnected. I thought their can be something for fuse like they have for breaker even breaker trips the handle tie would open all phases all breakers no?

It does not relate to other thread. This is multiwire branch circuit. The fused disconnect is fed from panelboards breaker that feeds this fused disconnect that is the final overcurrent protection then to load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, a breaker is not required to be common trip for a MWBC, it only has to open all legs or conductors when manually operated.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Why are you using a fused disconnect for branch circuit protection?

The fused disconnect is fed from panelboard breaker. The fuses in fused disconnect are the final overcurrent protection then to load. Designer selected that way not me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.