Fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Littlefuse or Bussmann?

LFNR-025 vs FRN-R-25
25A class RK5, dual element time delay

but in general, which brand do you use most often, and why (other than cost).

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
For comparable specifications (form factor, voltage, current, TCC), I have never seen any evidence that one brand was any better than the others. Fuses are pretty close to a commodity.

My choice goes to what ever the preferred vendor has in stock or can get shipped the quickest.

Disclaimer: Not counting third world knock-offs that says they meet spec - but don't.

Last edited:
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The only ones that are last choice are the ones with a fiberglass body. At the time I put them as last choice, I noticed they operated at a higher temperature than the other styles. The VD across fuses followed the fuse style when I got curious with my meter.

LF is my preferred due to pricing but we try not to mix brands to the same load.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
... but we try not to mix brands to the same load.

I agree with this, although not just to keep the TCC the same. I came to the conclusion that when the system got hit hard enough to open a fuse, the other two fuses were severely stressed. Change all three.

kwired

Electron manager
Littlefuse or Bussmann?

LFNR-025 vs FRN-R-25
25A class RK5, dual element time delay

but in general, which brand do you use most often, and why (other than cost).

My main supplier only has Ferraz/Mersen fuses. I also have to agree that among those big three, I don't think you will see any significant performance issues. A particular class of fuse is made to same listing standards by all of them. Cheap knockoffs as mentioned may not be made to same standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.