fuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timboe

I have the small glass fuses for different things at work. What is the the reason that a fuse rated at 10 amps 24volt will blow in a machine running on 120volts. A 10 amp fuse rated correctly for 120 volts will work correctly and not blow. Yes I know use the right fuse, but seriously whats the teachnical differance?

dicklaxt

I was once told by a Code Class instructor that I attended in 1964(and forgot most of it):) that a voltage rating on a fuse was the tested voltage level that would not arc across a blown element,there by the fuse would do its job,,,now if thats true then maybe when a voltage is applied that is greater than the rated voltage maybe the voltage arcs across even tho the element is in tac and the heat produced melts the element.Sounds good to me but I am not even close to being sure about that.Just a SWAG

dick

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My experience has not supported that premise.
You will not that many fuses in the listing state: "___volts or less".
The two fuses, if they have the same fault curve should open at the same amperage.
I would think further investigation would reveal a difference in characteristics other than voltage.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dick's explanation is real close, plus LV fuses have shorter fusible sections for less voltage drop.

mivey

Just browsing through the Bussmann catalog, the fuses of the same type have one amp rating per voltage rating (unless I over-looked some). Getting different voltage ratings for the same amps means a different fuse series and the time curves are slightly to greatly different.

What brand fuse is it and do you have some specs, model numbers, pictures? Are you sure both have the same type letters (AGC, AGA, MDL, GMC, etc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.