Future Load - one lateral or two

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read 230.2 as saying that for the purpose of 230.40 Exception #2, multiple underground laterals supplying one building or structure shall be considered as supplying one service, and therefore allowed. But I don't see it as allowing more than one lateral to feed the same group of disconnects, which would be beyond the one lateral that's allowed by 240.40 Exception. #2

But 230.2 says "running to the same location" which I kinda interpret as being grouped, but maybe that is not what they mean.

Ok, look at the drawing on page 24 you linked in the previous post. Lets consider two scenarios: 1) the service point is at the spades of the transformer, and 2) the service point is at the line side terminals of the meter, terminal box, or disconnect. Both scenarios are quite common. In situation 1, I think it is just a clear application of 230.40 exception #2. For situation 2, in which nothing has actually physically changed other than definitions, we would now have multiple laterals . I believe that wording in 230.2 was put in to make that compliant.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It doesn't sound that the OP is installing additional disconnects for a fire pump, emergency system, legally required standby system or any other specialty items which I would consider "Separate Loads" from the original servcie for the building per 230.40 that would permit an additional service or lateral.

But I also am not sure that's what they mean

JAP

Status
Not open for further replies.